Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
I'm already exhausted...
1  2  Next

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 6:34 pm
and I have so much to do tomorrow...

today I made 5 kugels, 2 deli rolls, and a ton of sesame chicken. last night I baked challahs. we finished the sukkah today, and I went grocery shopping. now the kids need a bath. I still have to clean tomorrow, and I think I'm getting sick...

oh, yeah, and laundry is calling...

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:03 pm
wow, mummiedearest! Boy, can I empathize, though. I'm having my fam the first days. I love them dearly and I'm keeping it simple, but since it is so many people , plus they are sleeping over, the work seems daunting. I made a chicken soup, 10 trays of chicken, and 2 kugels today.

I already made two batches of challah (10 lbs of flour) and 2 cakes.

I still have to make my veggie sides and fish. I'm gettin' there, but it comes with a price: lack of sleep.
I'm scared I'm going to be too tired to enjoy my family.

mc'cutie

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:05 pm
Just thought ill post my 2 cents. I am going to the Raleigh hotel for the first days, so I dont have much to do Very Happy YAY

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:15 pm
I'm trying not to panic by telling myself fresh, simple food that can be cooked on yt is just as nice as reheated fancy food.

I made today: 1 huge pot of pumpkin soup (never again! murder to peel)
lots of challa
peeled veggies for chicken soup
folded lots of laundry
did shopping

while dh and friend built sukka

tomorrow - make some desserts - apple crumble and choc brownie
cook huge peice of brisket
make stuffed aubergine
cook chicken soup

my kitchen looks like a bomb hit it. Cleaner never turned up. I hope she can make up hours tomorrow.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:21 pm
raisin, you can peel a pumpkin with a regular vegetable peeler the peel is not that thick. yes, I've done it before. started with a knife and then realized a peeler is fine. so feel free to make the soup again!

I cook plenty on y"t, but I don't want to deal with ovens, so I prepare baked stuff beforehand. I still have to make fish (boring old gefilte, nothing special) and I wanted to bake some apples for dessert, but we'll see if I get to that.

I was going to make more kugels today, but my blender broke so bye bye potato kugel Sad

I feel the need to mourn my blender. a moment of silence, please...

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:25 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
raisin, you can peel a pumpkin with a regular vegetable peeler the peel is not that thick. yes, I've done it before. started with a knife and then realized a peeler is fine. so feel free to make the soup again!

I cook plenty on y"t, but I don't want to deal with ovens, so I prepare baked stuff beforehand. I still have to make fish (boring old gefilte, nothing special) and I wanted to bake some apples for dessert, but we'll see if I get to that.

I was going to make more kugels today, but my blender broke so bye bye potato kugel Sad

my good peeler disappeared on me, the 2 I still have were both useless for this purpose. I roasted some in its peel, and once it was properly cooked it was really easy to peel (but I only found that out once I'd finished!)

make some roast potatoes instead of kugel. I'm sorry. Or, you could make a mashed kugel.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:28 pm
Raisin wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

my good peeler disappeared on me, the 2 I still have were both useless for this purpose. I roasted some in its peel, and once it was properly cooked it was really easy to peel (but I only found that out once I'd finished!)

make some roast potatoes instead of kugel. I'm sorry. Or, you could make a mashed kugel.

nah, I made four broccoli kugels, that should hold us till chol hamoed. I just love my blender kugel, it's so easy and yummy. I'm very picky about potato kugels. oh well.

sorry to hear about your peelers. funny, I used to have like five when I first got married. three years later I'm down to one. I often wonder where the others have gone, but I haven't found them through two moves, so I think they've abandoned me.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:29 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Raisin wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

nah, I made four broccoli kugels, that should hold us till chol hamoed. I just love my blender kugel, it's so easy and yummy. I'm very picky about potato kugels. oh well.

sorry to hear about your peelers. funny, I used to have like five when I first got married. three years later I'm down to one. I often wonder where the others have gone, but I haven't found them through two moves, so I think they've abandoned me.

I think the peelers get buried under peels and get thrown away. Knives too!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:33 pm
Raisin wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
Raisin wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

I think the peelers get buried under peels and get thrown away. Knives too!

never! I peel onto a paper towel or into the garbage directly, then rinse the peeler immediately. no such thing as losing under a pile of peels. and I've never lost my knives. I'm very possessive of my knives. I think my peelers traveled out of the country on their own.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:13 pm
I was going to make baked apples, too, mummiedearest. In the spirit of my family diet and all. But I had to nix it because it was too many apples, too much oven space, so I ended up making two cakes instead. They stretch a lot farther. oh well. sigh.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:52 pm
I was going to be you tomorrow. And then I picked up a phone and invited myself out. I want to cry.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:56 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I was going to be you tomorrow. And then I picked up a phone and invited myself out. I want to cry.

you ok? you sound confused. which of us were you going to be tomorrow?

bebe3

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:57 pm
I can totally sympathize. I was on my feet the whole day, I accomplished quite a lot, but My laundry is not done, my kitchen has dinner still matted to the floor and I haven't even made challah yet..oh and I have this horrendous head cold and we're having guests stay over.

dillie

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:57 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:

Why?? (Unless they said no LOL )

bebe3

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:00 pm
lucky she has people to call.

shlumzmum

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:04 pm
heeeelp I cant find my bed, there's at least 5 loads of laundry on it to be folded. I'm not home for any of the meals but I am baking for my in laws, so far 2 cakes, cherry pie and a compote for dessert. tomorrow one more cake and maybe potato knishes....

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:07 pm
so I made a list of what I have to do tomorrow, and I guess it's not so bad. not as much as I usually do for shabbos. maybe. maybe about the same. I know I'm forgetting something...

bebe3

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:12 pm
energy?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:17 pm
Well I keep cutting things out. Was going to make challah, but I just couldn't fit it in.

As for all of the cooking, it never ends. And how do you all do it with kids? Ds "helps" and ends up getting it everywhere and half lands on the floor which not only do I then have to clean up, but I have to make 1/2 all over again.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:26 pm
dillie wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:

Why?? (Unless they said no LOL )

Because I wasn’t supposed to be feeling so awful before the Sukka was packed away!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics