Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Budget Cooking

Skinnymum

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:05 am
Any ideas for inexpensive and filling meals?

Preferably Parev.

(and easy!)

grin

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:17 am
brown onions, add veggies (I often use zucchini or tomatoes) and simmer, than add (checked) bulgur or quinoa with hot water, salt and spices and simmer until done. Or you can add pre-cooked brown rice after the veggies cook.
[to add protein and more variation: add tofu to the onions together with soy sauce, then add veggies, etc. You can also add scrambled eggs instead of the grains - I've even added a tbsp techina to the whole mess and the kids all gobbled it up.]

baked potatoes (I cook them sliced with olive oil and salt in the microwave - it's quicker than the oven) with flavored cheese (mix plain cheese with salt and savory spices). You can also do this with a mix of potatoes & carrots.

add a large fresh salad to either dish for a more complete meal. I also s/t heat canned peas & carrots with tomato paste and spices for a delicious and inexpensive side dish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains