Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
My Sister In Law Makes me CRAZY--I need cake recipes PRONTO
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:39 am
Maybe I need to learn to be more tolerant but for today my sister in law frustrates me. I work full time but when my mother in law asked if I would make all the pies and 2 cakes for her Thanksgiving dinner of 25 people. Naturally I said yes and Motzei Shaboos bought most of the ingredients. Mind you, I did all this with a genuine smile...

Last night my mother in law called and said her daughter chenged her mind and would indeed be maiking pies... Could I just make 2 or three cakes. AAARRRGGGHHH we ALL KNOW that it take 45 seconds to prepare pumpkin pie and there is very minimal clean up. Cake is a different story. So, off to the supermarket I go, smile flatly pasted on my face, teeth gritted shut. My SIL is just horrendous.

Here's where you comein:
DO YOU HAVE ANY FABULOUSLY DELICOUS VERY SIMPLE CAKES OR DESSERTS TO MAKE?

ALL I CAN THINK OF IS A KAHLUA CHOCOLATE CAKE IN A NICE BUNDT PAN--

Any and all suggestions will be humbly appreciated.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:40 am
Omigosh! I know I am frustrated but that is no excuse for not previewing my post... Sorry for all the typos!

msym

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:47 am
Yummy Banana Cake
1. Cream ¾ C. Shortning and 1 ½ C. Sugar
2. Add 1 tsp. Vanilla and 2 eggs
3. 2 C. Flour, ½ tsp baking PWDR, ¼ tsp. salt
ALTERNATE WITH:
4. 1 ¼ C. mashed banana mixed with ¼ C. water and 1 tsp. baking SODA
5. Grease and flour two 9” pans or one 9x13 pan
6. Bake 350 for 40 minutes (dont overbake)

Banana Frosting (yum!):
• 1/4 C. Crisco
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 3 C. Confectioners sugar
• 1/3 C. mashed banana
1. Mix Crisco, salt, vanilla and 1 C. conf sugar
2. Add banana and rest of sugar alternating mix till smooth and creamy.
3. Enjoy. Save me a piece 8)

OldYoung

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:48 am
Here is a super easy pie recipe that I can think of off the top of my head- I know that you specifically said cakes because someone else is taking care of the pies- but a VERY easy desert and tastes delicious- you can be very flexible with the measurements.

Lemon Pie

small whip
anywhere between a half and a whole can of lemon pie filling (I think they come in 21 oz?)
1/4 container marshmellow fluff
pie crust

Whip up the whip. Add lemon pie filling and marshmellow fluff to whip and continue to whip. Pour into pie crust and freeze.

If I think of any others I can let you know...

msym

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:50 am
Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
½ c. oil
2tsp vanilla
¾ c. cocoa
Mix above ingredients together
¾ c. boiling water
1 tsp coffee
½ c. water
Put water and coffee in a cup and alternate with flour mixture into bowl with egg mixture
2 c. flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
Bake in a 9x13 pan or 2 smaller ones for about 40 minutes – keep checking it but don’t overbake!
Immediately after taking it out of the oven cover completely with foil-this makes the cake really moist!

sky

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:53 am
Brownies!

Dunkin Hines brownies with melted choc chips on top. Sprinkle them on the last minute of baking and then smear them.

To be fancier make a ganache (whip cream and choc chips - melt together) and then pour on top and harden. It tastes delicious and looks pretty.

msym

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:56 am
[b][u]AMARETTO CAKE
-Beat 5 eggs for 5 minutes
then add:
2 C. sugar
2/3 C. oil
2 C. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 vanilla instant pudding
3/4 C. orange juice
1/4 C. vodka
1/4. C. amaretto

Mix all together
bake in 9x13 for about an hour

pacifier

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:01 am
why didn't you tell your mil that you've already done the pies?

for the cakes, gain some time by only beating the egg whites, then add sugar, then at a reduced speed add the flour/baking powder/oil.
with this basic batter, you can make different cakes. one with chocolate. one with coconut. one with ground almonds/hazelnuts or walnuts.
I didn't write any quantities, cause I usually create my own recipes, on the spot...

if you want cookies, I just made this morning coconut cookies with 1 stick margarine, 150g sugar, 150 g flour, 100g coconut, baking powder, and 1 tsp of orange blossom extract. the dough will be very soft, put tea- spoonfuls on a cookie tray, about 12 cookies per tray (the dough will spread).
this will give you at least 40 to 50 cookies.
it cooks very fast (350 farenheit for 10 minutes) and it's yummy.
you can even put 2 trays at a time in your oven, it shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes from start to finish.

sunshine!

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:05 am
Here's another easy Amaretto Cake

Amaretto Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup oil
4 eggs
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
¾ cup orange juice
¼ cup amaretto

Grese and flour bundt pan. Beat sugar and eggs until fluffy, add rest of ingredients. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Here's another easy cake for a bundt pan:

Cinnamon Swirl Cake

1 ½ cups sugar
1 stick margarine>cream

Add:
2 tsp vanilla
3 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup oil

Mix well then pour half into greased Bundt pan. Prepare crumble.

Crumble:
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
5 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
½ stick margarine
Mix until crumbly. Pour over half batter in Bundt pan, and then cover with rest of batter. Cover with remaining crumble and bake at 350’ for 1 hour.

These are an easy no-bake recipe for O'Henry Bars.

Yummy O’Henry Bars

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup light karo syrup
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup sugar
6 cups cornflakes
1 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanuts

Cook peanut butter, corn syrup, and sugars- remove from heat and mix in rest of ingredients. Press into a 9x13 with wax or parchment paper.

Good Luck!

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:12 am
http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.....x.htm

lubaussie

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:22 am
OldYoung wrote:
Here is a super easy pie recipe that I can think of off the top of my head- I know that you specifically said cakes because someone else is taking care of the pies- but a VERY easy desert and tastes delicious- you can be very flexible with the measurements.

Lemon Pie

small whip
anywhere between a half and a whole can of lemon pie filling (I think they come in 21 oz?)
pie crust

Whip up the whip. Add lemon pie filling and marshmellow fluff to whip and continue to whip. Pour into pie crust and freeze.

omg that was so confusing! I was scratching my head wondering why OP was answering her own question...then I read ur usernames and realised you were 2 diff people with the same avatar... LOL

OldYoung

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:15 am
Chava wrote:
OldYoung wrote:

Lemon Pie

small whip
pie crust

omg that was so confusing! I was scratching my head wondering why OP was answering her own question...then I read ur usernames and realised you were 2 diff people with the same avatar... LOL

sorry, I've gotta get something more original. I am a little avatar challenged. embarrassed

lubaussie

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:19 am
I can help you! I have lods of avatars! just tell me what you like...

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:02 pm
riches whip add a tablespoon of conf sugar and 1 tsp vanilla whip it
put this aside for top no need to clean bowl and do choc layer

next riches whip add 1/2 cup of conf sugar and 1/3 cup cocoa (preferably european style - darker cocoa) 1 tsp vanilla whip it for bottom layer

put in bought graham cracker crust = voila

if you're feeling Drunken Smile you can add 2 tsp rum or 1/2 tsp rum extract to choc layer

decorate with maraschino cherry(s) Cherry

p.s. you can do this in miniature single pie shells as well ... kool

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:19 pm
Pumpkin pie that takes 45 seconds? On what channel?

very rude of them to pull a bait-and-switch on you.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:22 pm
I would just buy some mixes - or make very simple cakes like the Hershey's Choc Cake recipe, or something equally easy.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Pumpkin pie that takes 45 seconds? On what channel?

very rude of them to pull a bait-and-switch on you.

Maybe not 45 seconds, but very quick - especially if you use the pumpkin pie filling from the can and ready make pie crust.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:28 pm
or do a strawberry shortcake trifle.

buy a pound cake and cut into 1" cubes, layer with whipped cream and cut up strawberries.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:34 pm
YOU people are all AWESOME!!!!! My husband and I were giggling when we saw all the fabulous responses. I WISH I had a new avatar I cannot remember who the reining Queen of Avatars are but whoever you are feel free to help me create a new avatar.
Thanks again for all the recipes. I purchased some new ingredients and a rockin' new bundt pan so we are good to go!!!
And... YES, YES< YES... Pumpkin pie is so simple to make I will be making 50 individual pumpkin tarts with my all boys Pre First classes tomorrow. It really is that SIMPLE!!! You just follow the silly recipe and dump it all in a big bowl... MIX... POUR and BAKE. There is barely any clean up. If anyone wants a pumpkin recipe just ask I found a really good pareve one with rice or soy milk instead of condensed milk.

I did NOT eat Pumpkin pie growing up in Crown Heights and I find it is an acquired taste but who knows maybe someone in your family may like it. I would imagine if you enjoy butternut squash souffle you would probably enjoy pumpkin pie.
Thanks again everyone!
I feel so MUCH BETTER!!!!!

msym

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:47 pm
just as a side note, when using a bundt pan I use a lot of pam with flour (special for baking) this helps the cake come out really nicely
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins