Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
DROWNING IN DUST

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 9:01 pm
I live in a building, and my apartment is always full of dust. all it takes is 24 hours from the last time I cleaned it and it looks like the dust hasn't been removed since last pesach!Rolling Eyes

any suggestions for getting rid of dust for good?

happymom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 9:21 pm
the only way is to dust every day. otherwise theres nothing u can do. I use the swifter on the floors. It does a great job of getting all the dust off.

chen

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 9:13 am
You can minimize but cannot eliminate dust. A large %age of house dust is dead skin cells shed by you and everyone else living in the house.

To minimize, dust with a barely damp cloth or dust mop, or vacuum. Avoid carpeting and furniture with fabric upholstery. Keep windows closed and use a/c with a filter.

Place mats inside and outside every entrance to the house and have people wipe their shoes before coming in. Change to house shoes upon entering and wear street shoes only outside.

sorry, like death nand taxes, daily dust fallout is a fact of life.

supermommy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 9:18 am
get an air purifier.

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 11:22 am
Are we neighbors? My apartment is the same way. I literally have to dust every day/every other day otherwise it looks terrible in here!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 12:04 pm
do you live in ny? (or other big, dirty city?) do you live in an building which wasn't maintained too well? if so, I'm afraid I don't have any good advice. just don't blame yourself... it's not your fault if the landlords just painted layer over layer of paint without scraping first, and painted over the fungus in the bathtub, and put more shellac on the floor while it was covered with dust.

my first apartment was in a falling apart house. it didn't matter how often or thoroughly I cleaned it, more dirt was constantly seeping out of the walls. once I had a cleaning lady come for six hours. I also cleaned the whole time. so 12 hours altogether. it didn't take too long before the place looked again like it hadn't been cleaned in years.

sorry, you guys who live out of town in nice neat houses built during your lifetime just don't understand. (I know because I was once one of you.)

mopping and wiping probably makes more sense than dusting and sweeping, but it still might not ever get completely clean. it will only maintain the illusion for a short while.

move out. that is the best advice. that is what I did.

you have my complete sympathy.

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 12:35 pm
An air purifier helps some, and never dust dry - it just puts the dust back into the air, always use something damp or like endust spray. I don't know of any magic tricks ......

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 12:38 pm
Quote:
it's not your fault if the landlords just painted layer over layer of paint without scraping first, and painted over the fungus in the bathtub, and put more shellac on the floor while it was covered with dust.

Well, I'm a bad guy. Because I'm a landlord. And if you think the landlord is obligated to redo your house, building or apartment for whatever the price, so you can live in convenience and style, that can only come from an entitlement attitude. Next thing you know, the landlord will be obligated to buy you furniture, clean-up your messes, and pay for your groceries!

Buildings cost lots to maintain. The owner is entitled to receive his rent check for the service of providing you with a place to live, for which you pay only rent, but no taxes, insurance , heating, or water bills, repairs or maintenance,paperwork and other such headaches. Even if he makes a little profit on the deal (and knowing the score, it isn't much, by far). You buy a dress you fancy, and don't begrudge the store owner his profit, right?

You don't say: What a cheat, that dress cost $15 to manufacture, the wholesaler sells it for $50, and I have to pay this rotten storekeeper $250!
No. You buy the dress because you like it, and you fork over the $250 happily, and with a nice smile thank the storekeeper for helping you .

The Torah permits the storekeeper to earn his profit, and likewise the Torah permits the owner of an apartment to charge, and even (gasp) make a profit.

Quote:
move out. that is the best advice. that is what I did.

You did the right thing.
Whoever loves renovations is welcome to buy their own unit, and construct/renovate as they wish.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 1:08 pm
landlord amother, this is tenant amother. I am sorry that I inadvertantly offended you. however I don't know you and you don't know me so please do not attack me! I don't know where you got your ideas of tenants from but it is not from me as I am quite sure that you were never my landlord.

I don't need any fancy renovations, but that doesn't mean that I am required to live in filth with broken windows. I am not expecting a fancy paint job, but I don't think I am being chutzpadik to expect that the wall around the light switch will not be black with someone else's finger grease. I don't expect to live like a king but like a human being. there is a certain amount that is expected from a landlord. (unless negotiated otherwise.)

if you are not making enough profit by renting out your space, then don't. nobody is forcing you.

just like nobody was forcing me to live in that witch hole. and that is why I moved out.

I am now very happily renting an apartment where there is usually heat, whatever appliances are falling apart are still somewhat useable and only a small eyesore, and I even got lucky - the tenants before me left blinds on some of the windows!

Very Happy

raizy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 1:41 pm
the landlord attuitude is only in the land of n.y.

here in montreal they give u usally a decent place to live. painted and dust free. heat and water included etc. when I lived in an apartment it was gourgages and it was dirt cheap too....

realeez

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 2:31 pm
no it is out of town too!
when there is a large demand for people and waiting lists to get into rental units, why should the landlord take care of ants, mice, mold or rusty water? I'm not talking about state of the art kitchens - I'm talking about things that should one report to the department of health the landlord would be in huge trouble. I am definitely not saying you should report them - you should NOT report another Jew to the government but I am just pointing out to the landlord amother that some landlords are definitely taking advantage & treating the tenants horribly - not that she is - I don't know who she is!

for the dust, try a swifter or close the window shades so the sun doesn't shine on it and make it more noticeable, lol!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry