Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Decorating for chanuka
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 5:39 am
growing up, my MO family decorated our windows for chanuka with decorations, like cutout paper and cellophane menoras, dreidels, greeks riding elephants. I mentioned possibly doing that, and my husband thought I was crazy. anyone do that? is it just a "I wanna decorate my windows bec it feels empty bec no xmas decorations", or are there any people over here that decorate for chanuka?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 5:46 am
My kids decorate our windows for every y"t. They just make pictures with colored paper. They never want to make one for the door, though. We do have a homemade welcome home sign on the door from when I had my baby, so I guess that's enough.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 5:49 am
I've been hanging stuff up all week. Stuff that the kids bring home from gan etc. I love having pix of menoras and dreidels all over the house. No connection to X-mas, btw. Tell your husband I said he's being ultra sensitive LOL (BTW I still have the gorgeous picture of a bonfire that my daughter made before Lag B'Omer hanging in my kitchen and the beautiful pic of the old city she drew before Tisha B'Av. We just hang timely pictures I guess...)

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 5:56 am
I meant on the windows. my husband said its embarassing...

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 5:59 am
If he's embarassed don't do it. I still say "LOOSEN UP"!!! I have stuff on MY windows.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:52 pm
Seraph wrote:

Well why do you davka want it on the windows? Why not on your walls?
Doing it on the windows at this time of year does look a little xmas-y. Maybe not in E"Y though.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 10:09 pm
My husband insists on putting up decorations. I can't be bothered doing it. He's much, much more into making yom tovim than I am. I think it's silly.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 1:53 am
I just put up my kids' pictures on whatever surface is available and clean. It's easier to clean the scotch tape off my windows than my wall. It peels off the paint. I also have windows smack in the middle of my kitchen above the sinks so I put stuff up there too. It's not "besheeta" on the windows LOL That's not how we do pirsumei denisa LOL

Tamiri

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 1:55 am
Our gan creations are decorating the dryer, which is where I put them when they came home on Friday afternoon. Under some other stuff waiting for the laundry.

smiley:)

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 2:14 am
In general I decorate the inside of my front door with my son's projects, so I don't feel that decorating it now with Chanukah stuff is in any way competition with X-mas. It's a year round thing.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 2:30 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Well why do you davka want it on the windows? Why not on your walls?
Doing it on the windows at this time of year does look a little xmas-y. Maybe not in E"Y though.

Except you need to consider the entire context, including where does Seraph live? And Seraph lives in Tel Tzion. We're not talking tinsel garlands and blinking lights in the shape of menorahs and draidles (BTW, tinsel garlands and blinking lights are becoming more and more common in Sukkahs). We're talking children's arts and crafts projects of menorahs and draidles and latkes...

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 7:50 am
ChossidMom wrote:
LOL That's not how we do pirsumei denisa LOL

Who says there is only one way?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:44 am
I also did as a child. My father thought it was asking for trouble though.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 1:23 pm
brooklyn wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Umm, I always learned in school and out that lighting the chanukiya in a place that people see it is the way we publicize the miracle. Is there some Jewish textbook somewhere that says that putting up pictures of dreidels and menorah cutouts on the windows is a special "inyan" on Chanukah?

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 6:52 am
Not an inyan but all the public dislays and lighting and the car menorahs and all the other things done......isn't that also persumei nisa?

hadasa

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:09 am
Seraph, maybe wait another year or two, until your son will be bringing home pictures from gan.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:54 am
brooklyn wrote:
Not an inyan but all the public dislays and lighting and the car menorahs and all the other things done......isn't that also persumei nisa?

Don't know. To me - that's KIRUV and OUTREACH. I don't think it qualifies halachically as pirsumei denisa.

louche

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 4:49 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
brooklyn wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Umm, I always learned in school and out that lighting the chanukiya in a place that people see it is the way we publicize the miracle. Is there some Jewish textbook somewhere that says that putting up pictures of dreidels and menorah cutouts on the windows is a special "inyan" on Chanukah?

I hardly think that decorating one's house, inside or out, is for purposes of pirsumei d'nissah. Pirsumei d'nissah is indeed through publicly displaying the chanukiyah. decorations are another issue: they're to create a joyous ambience. you decorate the house for a party, don't you? chanuka is an 8-day party, why not decorate the house in its honor? if that includes the windows, wht's wrong with that? the candles glow only for half an hour or so a night...the decorations create a holiday atmosphere all week long.

of course if chanuka is the ONLY holiday at which you decorate your house, one might conclude, rightly or wrongly, that you're being influenced by your nonjewish neighbors. so eliminate all doubt, and decorate your house on every holiday.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:49 pm
Thumbs Up Louche!

And, nice to see you back here!!!

ss321

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 6:30 am
I "decorate" by hanging up DS's pictures! I also leave a table cloth on our dining rm table all week - more yom tovdik IMO but not really decorated lol Smile
When we were little, my mother used to hang stuff, like our art work, by each yom tov, not just chanukah. thats what I do too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics