Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to prevent the jealousy!??!

RightOnTarget

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:07 pm
I recently had my second baby. I'm told my toddler will likely resent this baby for distrupting his usual routine and full attention. So far, he's handling it pretty ok. Any advice on how to prevent any problems before they occur?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:08 pm
Talk to the baby about the toddler, they feel so good.

octopus

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:08 pm
my ds was jealous the minute I brought dd home.

first of all- what's the age gap between your kids. It's pretty much dependent on that and your child's personality. anything between 18 month and 2 years = a lot of jealousy, usually. If they are closer together or further apart than that, it is usually easier.

also, make a big deal out of your toddler.

RightOnTarget

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:13 pm
Toddler is 23 Mnth. I try tocompliment and talk to him a lot and involve him in my caring for the baby. Everything just takes way too much longer!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:15 pm
let your toddler "help" as much as possible. my toddler was ok with his sis and still is most of the time. now she's walking and talking, so there's more rivalry, but they get along well mostly. make sure to give toddler plenty of attention. and if you're busy with baby and can't play with him, don't tell him it's because of the baby. find something you can do with him. ie, if you are nursing and can't dance to music with him, read a book, sing a song, count toes, etc. distraction is useful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics