Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Fillet Steak

Lilkingdom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:33 am
Has anyone ever made Fillet Steak? I want a good soft recipe. It's tonight's supper so please reply asap!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:46 am
What type of fillet steak?
Sometimes I buy a really thin cut of shoulder steak. I think they also call it fillet. Not sure.
Do you mean like a thick steak that's just boneless? Or a minute steak? Or flanken or chuck?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:52 pm
Some steak ideas:

Spear Ribs (I’ve done this on lots of cuts of meats, including filleted flanken and chuck
Ingredients
• spear ribs
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, sliced for rub
Glaze
• ¼ cup ketchup
• 2 Tbsp orange juice
• 1 tsp onion soup mix
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• ½ tsp black pepper
Preparation
In large aluminum pan, place sliced onion under ribs. Rub ribs with garlic. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
Smear ribs with glaze; cover and bake 20 minutes. Then uncover the pan, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
--------------------------
Barbeque Minute Steak
Ingredients
• 1½ lbs minute steak
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1 bottle good quality barbecue sauce
Preparation
Line the bottom of a 9x13 aluminum pan with onion slices.
Place minute steaks on top of onion.
Pour entire bottle of barbecue sauce over minute steaks.
Cover and bake at 375’ for 2½ hours.
No Fail Pan Seared Steak Method
Ingredients
• steak
• oil
• wine
• water
• ½ tsp margarine
• cloves of garlic
Preparation
This is for reasonably thick steaks; 1/2" or more. Thicker than 1-1/2" will take longer, obviously. Thinner, much less time; they're pretty much ready to turn as soon as one side is browned, unless you like really well-done steaks.

Pre-heat a heavy skillet on medium-high until you can feel the heat rising off of it about 8" above the surface. Lightly grease pan with oil. Season one side of steak and place in pan, seasoned side down. Season the top side.

Well done - Wait until the sides are brown most of the way up, then turn.
Medium rare - Continue cooking on medium-high until you see the side of the steak has turned brown about halfway up. Flip it over and finish cooking, about 5 minutes depending on thickness. Serve.
Rare - Turn it when it just starts getting brown a little way up the side.

This does take a little practice, but after a few you'll get your timing down for exactly how you like it. You might have to cut into it to check the progress the first couple of times you do this. Note that you only turn the steak once.

It's nice to give it a little splash of wine on top of the steak after you turn it, a minute or so before you remove it from the pan. Also nice to add a couple of smashed cloves of garlic to the pan just before you add the steak. Remove the garlic when it starts getting too brown, unless you *like* the taste of burned garlic!

Au jus: After removing steak, keep the burner on and pour in a couple tablespoons water. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine. Let it simmer until it reduces by around half, just a couple minutes, while you stir to loosen the browned bits. Pour over steak when serving.
Asian Steak
Quick & Kosher
Ingredients
• 4 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 lbs. chuck steak, bone-in, 1-inch thick
• 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
• 3 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 2 cups boiling water
• 2 Tbsp Osem consume mix (I would use 2 cups chicken broth instead of the water and soup mix)
• 1 large celery stalk, sliced
• 1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
• 1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
• Pimento, diced, for garnish
Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Rinse steak and pat dry. Place in skillet and brown both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain off oil.
Add brown sugar, soy sauce, onion, water, consume mix, celery, water chestnuts, and pepper. Make sure steak and vegetables are submerged in liquid mixture.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours and 30 minutes or until steak is tender.
Garnish with pimentos before serving.

Lilkingdom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:04 pm
Thanks so much!!!!

I'm gona keep all these recipes for the future iyh. I think I'll go with the spare rib recipe for now. Seems easy and good. The steak that I have is a pretty thin cut and says Fillet steak on it.

BTW do I have to boil the glaze or just mix in a bowl?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:12 pm
LilPrincess wrote:
Thanks so much!!!!

I'm gona keep all these recipes for the future iyh. I think I'll go with the spare rib recipe for now. Seems easy and good. The steak that I have is a pretty thin cut and says Fillet steak on it.

BTW do I have to boil the glaze or just mix in a bowl?

Just mix. Enjoy it!
Oh, and you may want to cut down on the amount of black pepper.

shmaichul

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 12:39 pm
Lil Princess did the meat come out good with that recipe? Thinking of making it for yom tov...

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
Spear Ribs (I’ve done this on lots of cuts of meats, including filleted flanken and chuck
Ingredients
• spear ribs
• 1 large onion, sliced
Glaze
• ¼ cup ketchup
• 2 Tbsp orange juice
• 1 tsp onion soup mix
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• ½ tsp black pepper
Preparation
In large aluminum pan, place sliced onion under ribs. Rub ribs with garlic. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
Smear ribs with glaze; cover and bake 20 minutes. Then uncover the pan, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Ra mom, can you retype the amounts for this recipe? I want to make it for shabbos and there are all these symbols that are confusing me
thanks

shmaichul

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 2:04 am
Just wanted to say ended up making it for shavuous and it was really delicious! (I meant to post after Shavuous but forgot, and now that it was brought up again I remembered)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
Some steak ideas:

Spear Ribs (I've done this on lots of cuts of meats, including filleted flanken and chuck
Ingredients
• spear ribs
• 1 large onion, sliced
Glaze:
• ¼ cup ketchup
• 2 Tbsp orange juice
• 1 tsp onion soup mix
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• ½ tsp black pepper
Preparation:
Preparation
Barbeque Minute Steak
Ingredients
1½ lbs minute steak
1 small onion, sliced
1 bottle good quality barbecue sauce
Preparation
Line the bottom of a 9x13 aluminum pan with onion slices.
Place minute steaks on top of onion.
Pour entire bottle of barbecue sauce over minute steaks.
Cover tightly and bake at 375 for 2½ hours.
No Fail Pan Seared Steak Method
Ingredients
steak
oil
wine
water
½ tsp margarine
cloves of garlic
Preparation
This is for reasonably thick steaks; 1/2" or more. Thicker than 1-1/2" will take longer, obviously. Thinner, much less time; they're pretty much ready to turn as soon as one side is browned, unless you like really well-done steaks.

Pre-heat a heavy skillet on medium-high until you can feel the heat rising off of it about 8" above the surface. Lightly grease pan with oil. Season one side of steak and place in pan, seasoned side down. Season the top side.

Well done - Wait until the sides are brown most of the way up, then turn.
Medium rare - Continue cooking on medium-high until you see the side of the steak has turned brown about halfway up. Flip it over and finish cooking, about 5 minutes depending on thickness. Serve.
Rare - Turn it when it just starts getting brown a little way up the side.

This does take a little practice, but after a few you'll get your timing down for exactly how you like it. You might have to cut into it to check the progress the first couple of times you do this. Note that you only turn the steak once.

It's nice to give it a little splash of wine on top of the steak after you turn it, a minute or so before you remove it from the pan. Also nice to add a couple of smashed cloves of garlic to the pan just before you add the steak. Remove the garlic when it starts getting too brown, unless you *like* the taste of burned garlic!

Au jus: After removing steak, keep the burner on and pour in a couple tablespoons water. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine. Let it simmer until it reduces by around half, just a couple minutes, while you stir to loosen the browned bits. Pour over steak when serving.
Asian Steak (this has a very mild flavor, almost like a stew)
Quick & Kosher
Ingredients
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs. chuck steak, bone-in, 1-inch thick
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 large onion, sliced
2 cups boiling water
2 Tbsp Osem consume mix (I would use 2 cups chicken broth instead of the water and soup mix)
1 large celery stalk, sliced
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
Pimento, diced, for garnish
Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Rinse steak and pat dry. Place in skillet and brown both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain off oil.
Add brown sugar, soy sauce, onion, water, consume mix, celery, water chestnuts, and pepper. Make sure steak and vegetables are submerged in liquid mixture.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours and 30 minutes or until steak is tender.
Garnish with pimentos before serving.

CuteGirl613

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 10:53 pm
Did anyone ever try this spare rib recipe on fillet steak? I am debating if I should make it for Yom Tov.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 10:55 pm
CuteGirl613 wrote:
Did anyone ever try this spare rib recipe on fillet steak? I am debating if I should make it for Yom Tov.

I've made that recipe with the regular thick fillet steak.
Did not try it on the very thin fillet steak.
(I make the pan seared steak with the very thin fillet steak. It's delicious. It does NOT work with the thick fillet steak.)

CuteGirl613

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:11 pm
The recipe came out with thin fillet steak baked.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:14 pm
CuteGirl613 wrote:
The recipe came out with thin fillet steak baked.

Glad to hear. Did it come out good?

CuteGirl613

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:39 pm
Sorry I left out the word HORRIBLE. Thank g-d we had no company that meal. The sauce tasted good. The meat was hard.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:44 pm
CuteGirl613 wrote:
Sorry I left out the word HORRIBLE. Thank g-d we had no company that meal. The sauce tasted good. The meat was hard.

I am so sorry. Sad My apologies to your family.
I never used the thin fillet in the oven.
(Did you serve it fresh, right out of the oven?)

CuteGirl613

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 11:08 pm
It's okay. We ate it fresh out of the oven. I just wanted to notify everybody not to try it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics