Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Random Infant Questions

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:36 am
1. I went to buy TriViSol with iron yesterday, and the pharmacist asked if my doctor told me to get it. I said yes, a couple of months ago he told us to switch from regular TriViSol to TriViSol with iron. She got all upset and said that a lot could happen in a couple of months, and don't I know that iron can be toxic for babies, and he should be getting iron from his formula (I'm bfing) and from any food that he's eating. So I have a call in to the doctor, but...is this true? I'm amazed that the doctor didn't mention stopping. He's about eight months old, and he eats two meals a day. He has cereal mixed with fruit or veges at almost every meal. I know that the cereal is iron-fortified. But does that mean I should stop giving him the added iron?

2. How can you tell the difference between an ear infection and teething? Ds isn't pulling his ears or anything, he's just super-kvetchy. Motrin definitely helps, so it's definitely pain from somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it was teething. He's been like this since Thursday. But is there any way to rule out an ear infection (or anything else, for that matter?). I'd hate to chalk it up to teething if there were something else really wrong...

3. This is really a nursing question, but I"ll ask it here. I had a clogged duct over Shabbos, but B"H got rid of it quickly. Now (TMI?) I'm still very very sore, but it's on the surface instead of inside. It's right at the tip, right where he's sucking, and it looks white. I don't think it's thrush - it doesn't look like cottage cheese, and there's none in his mouth, and it's only like three dots. It's sore even when he's not sucking - like if I just brush against it. But it's really painful while he's nursing, especially right when he starts. Any ideas what this could be?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:41 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
1. I went to buy TriViSol with iron yesterday, and the pharmacist asked if my doctor told me to get it. I said yes, a couple of months ago he told us to switch from regular TriViSol to TriViSol with iron. She got all upset and said that a lot could happen in a couple of months, and don't I know that iron can be toxic for babies, and he should be getting iron from his formula (I'm bfing) and from any food that he's eating. So I have a call in to the doctor, but...is this true? I'm amazed that the doctor didn't mention stopping. He's about eight months old, and he eats two meals a day. He has cereal mixed with fruit or veges at almost every meal. I know that the cereal is iron-fortified. But does that mean I should stop giving him the added iron?

2. How can you tell the difference between an ear infection and teething? Ds isn't pulling his ears or anything, he's just super-kvetchy. Motrin definitely helps, so it's definitely pain from somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it was teething. He's been like this since Thursday. But is there any way to rule out an ear infection (or anything else, for that matter?). I'd hate to chalk it up to teething if there were something else really wrong...

3. This is really a nursing question, but I"ll ask it here. I had a clogged duct over Shabbos, but B"H got rid of it quickly. Now (TMI?) I'm still very very sore, but it's on the surface instead of inside. It's right at the tip, right where he's sucking, and it looks white. I don't think it's thrush - it doesn't look like cottage cheese, and there's none in his mouth, and it's only like three dots. It's sore even when he's not sucking - like if I just brush against it. But it's really painful while he's nursing, especially right when he starts. Any ideas what this could be?

1. Regarding the iron... has your son has a blood test to check his iron levels?

2. If he's not pulling his ears, if he's not running a fever but is super-kvetchy, is drooling a lot, has a runny nose, has a bit of diarrhea, chances are it's teething. What I did when my toddler was like that, I did take him to the doctor, just to be sure. Then once I knew what his teething signs were, I was prepared for the next round of teeth coming in.

3. It sounds like a bleb, a milk blister. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/con......html

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 6:11 pm
No. They don't do that until nine months.

Okay, the nurse got back to me, but I don't really trust her on this one. She said she thinks it's thrush that's making me sore, and also that's making ds cranky. Could it be that? I've never had thrush before, but I don't seem to fit the symptoms? Although ds did start crying while nursing tonight, which he NEVER does...

I'm going to call back tomorrow to talk to a doctor, and I'll probably end up going in with him. Does this make any sense at all?

micki

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 7:08 pm
thrush looks patchy like curdled milk that you cannot wipe away.

ear infections don't always mean that the kid has a fever and pulls on ears- I find that when they don't sleep its an ear infection. teething has lots of drool. use orajel if he stops crying then its teeth, if not then ears!

does your blister look like a pimple? you can take a pin and try to pop it- pm miraim, she has done that before. (I never have!) yeshas site is exactly what it is.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 1:41 am
BTW, when my toddler and I had thrush, he never showed any signs... my nipples would start to peel and they'd start to hurt. Those were the only symptoms we'd get but I'd treat us both with diluted grapefruit seed extract.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics