Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
The Mohn - and Pregnancy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 9:56 pm
We were learning that the mohn was given out by family size.....I just wonder if a woman realized she was pregnant in the midbar by the fact that she was given extra mohn?

lucky

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 11:26 pm
SaraG, you have soo many questions. Or you don't have anything better to do?

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 11:38 am
SaraG wrote:
We were learning that the mohn was given out by family size.....I just wonder if a woman realized she was pregnant in the midbar by the fact that she was given extra mohn?

only enough mohn was given for that day's needs so a pregnant woman wouldn't get any extra for her unborn baby!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 11:50 am
You mean, she didn't get any extra, if she was hungrier?

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 12:08 pm
everybody got what they needed (and she could choose to make it taste like pickles and ice cream Tongue Out )

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 12:17 pm
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...okay. Got it; thanks.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:55 pm
But not garlic, cabbage, etc...that was one weird Rashi.

goldrose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:02 pm
so why couldnt the mahn taste like specific foods? cabbage, garlic etc that arent good for a pg woman - it's not the taste taht is bad, (that is dependent on each individual woman) - it's the food itself. So I dont get it...

I asked this to my teacher in 7th grade who answered 'when you get older you'll understand' After going through it myself, I still dont. (side note, I HATE when adults tell children 'when u get older you'll understand' - instead of explaining the concept to them ON THE CHILD'S LEVEL.)

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:09 pm
goldrose wrote:
it's not the taste taht is bad, (that is dependent on each individual woman) - it's the food itself.

I don't understand what this means.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:25 pm
goldrose wrote:
so why couldnt the mahn taste like specific foods? cabbage, garlic etc that arent good for a pg woman - it's not the taste taht is bad, (that is dependent on each individual woman) - it's the food itself. So I dont get it...

I think I know what you mean - you're saying that it remained mohn and only TASTED like other foods, so why couldn't it taste like those five foods?

Quote:
I asked this to my teacher in 7th grade who answered 'when you get older you'll understand'

I think she simply didn't know the answer and didn't want to say so.

crayon - why do you think the Rashi is weird?

it's in Bahaaloscha 11:5 where the pasuk lists five foods

I don't think we even know precisely what these foods are because I'm not sure that what we call these foods today are the foods meant by the Torah.

Rashi says they mohn did not change into these foods because they are harmful for nursing mothers.

by the way, Rashi doesn't refer to TASTE but quotes R' Shimon as saying that the mohn TURNED INTO other foods, so maybe that answers the question goldrose

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:30 pm
The whole context was a little odd, learning it in 6th grade or so. Now I understand it a little better, but I didn't understand why nursing moms couldn't have certain foods (as a side note, I knew someone who was militant about it--"Do you know that nursing mothers should not eat cabbage? Do you know for sure that your baby is okay with it? Do you???" LOL)

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 8:12 pm
sounds like teachers don't want to discuss nursing ...

very simple, the foods a nursing mother eats is what makes the milk the baby eats

certain foods she eats will disagree with baby

we know cabbage makes people gassy and that onions and garlic are strong foods

not that I know for sure that any of the five is cabbage ...

goldrose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 9:01 pm
Quote:
goldrose wrote:

I think I know what you mean - you're saying that it remained mohn and only TASTED like other foods, so why couldn't it taste like those five foods?

so it actually turned into real food? can't really be, could it - if we learn that the yidden didnt excrete wastes in the midbar?

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 4:53 pm
no, I'm saying it only TASTED like what you wanted it to taste like
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics