Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Dangerous Lollipops!
1  2  Next

Jmommy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 10:51 am
My daughter was eating a lollipop on shabbos (a ball on top of a stick) and it popped off and she choked on it. at first she was able to speak but then it went down further and completely blocked her breathing. My young niece happened to be there when it happened and had just finished her CPR course the week before, and she did the heimlach maneuver on her. b'h it worked and it popped out. These lollipops and similar hard candies are extremely dangerous and should not be given to children at all. The 2-3 minutes it can take for hatzalah to come does not seem to be enough time for a choking child!!

Shalshelet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 10:54 am
Thanks for the info. B"H your daughter is ok!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:08 am
Thanks for sharing. I try hard to be careful with these things. Glad your dd was ok.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:17 am
Thank you! Baruch Hashem your daughter is okay!

queen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:22 am
are the flat lolly pops just as dangerous, or specifically the ROUND ones?

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 12:04 pm
I never thought lollipops were safe. You have to be so careful with hard candies of all sizes.

Jmommy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 12:46 pm
Yes b'h, thank you! when I think back at it I can't believe how much everything was so bashert...daughter was near me when it happened (imagine she was upstairs!), and my niece was there too and she just took her course!!
I think flat lollipops are def better than a ball one but you still have to be very careful with these things! a big (sharp!) piece can crack off and get stuck c'v.

slicesunshine

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 12:52 pm
last week a one and a half year old died from choking on bisli. And on tu-b'shvat a few children were in the ICU from choking on nuts and some hard dried fruits. If there is any doubt in your mind that your child can choke on a particular food- do not take the chance. There have been too many five-year-olds who have choked on pareve hot dogs that were not cut in half- this is an area where it pays to be somewhat neurotic!

Jmommy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 1:04 pm
Yes, and I think everyone should try and take a CPR course and review notes every few months.

supermama2

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 7:17 pm
WOW BH your daughter is fine! Thank you for the warning/reminder..

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 9:37 pm
What a scary scary story.
Thank you for sharing. People call me neurotic in this area, cuz I don't let my almost-three year old eat raw carrot stix, popcorn, candies, supersnax, nuts, a whole bunch of stuff. So sometimes I feel like "maybe I AM being neurotic, I should just let him have whatever" but your story reminded me how careful we need to be.
Baruch Hashem your daughter is ok. What an amazing story that your niece was there and had just taken CPR.

cubbie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 12:07 am
There are so many foods that are choking hazzards for little kids but they still seem to be given, my younger dd (2) loves craisons - her older sister once shared some of hers without me knowing, so I don't buy them anymore. I'm really careful now to not even buy stuff for my older dd that my younger dd shouldn't be eating because I've learnt that she gives them to her when she asks. The big one in our family is cherry tomatoes, my older dd hates that I cut them for her and always tells me how the other kids in her gan are allowed to eat them whole - well tough, if she wants cherry tomatoes they get cut.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 2:19 am
grapes are just as dangerous, I always cut them in half...

StrongIma

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 2:23 am
BH everything turned out fine - how old is your dd?

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 4:19 am
what a terrifying story!! B"H everything turned out ok. yea, lollypops are dangerous for little kids...you suck too hard - and just like you said, the stupid thing pops off and goes straaaight back...Sad
thx for the warning!

Jmommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 8:27 am
your welcome. my daughter is 4 1/2 which is scary bec she is bigger and I became less strict with her. I am going back to cutting grapes and tomatoes. knowing cpr is really a must for all parents. I was banging her back (obviosly silly) and I also hear that doing heimlach maneuver wrong can lead to broken ribs or internal bleeding c'v!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:05 am
wow - boruch Hashem she's okay ...

I have an other scary danger PEANUTBUTTER ... would you believe ...

I once gave dd some peanutbutter on a spoon (I think she was about 3 at the time) ... thought she was gonna lick it - instead she put the whole thing in her mouth but I didn't even notice till she was standing there with her eyes popped open and her mouth as well ... lucky my basic instinct was to stick my finger in her throat and clear her passageway ... that was quite a fright !!!

freidasima

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:16 am
B"H she is ok.

Here's one for mothers who want to give their kids lollypops but don't want to worry.

Get them the giant ones, you know those candy cane disgusting ones that are a foot across that kids can just lick forever. Buy one after Pesach and it lasts until Chanukah style. Just keep wrapping it up in plastic wrap and keep it in the bottom of the fridge. Never have to worry about anything with them except having a kid get a sugar rush and eat food coloring. But heck, if you are giving your kids lollypops anyhow according to some, you can just hand them some cyanide and be done with it.

(I grew up on the big lollypops because my father was an indulgent parent. My mother and grandmother were horrified)

chavs

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:39 am
How scary!!!

curlytop

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 5:47 pm
I try to buy the taffy lollies, I always think they are safer.
But I had a scary story with a taffy...my 2 yr old found a taffy that he hid somewhere, and ate it.. It had hardened because it wasn't so fresh. He bit off half and the other half got wedged in his throat. I managed to get it out somehow... (a Nes, I'll tell you), but I am still really freaked out from it.
And its not even considered a "dangerous" nosh!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics