Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Normal Socialization for 21 month-old?

speciwoman

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 6:53 am
I'm very worried.

My son has been taking music classes once a week for about 9 months. He also takes a movement class once a week. In these classes, he is not interested in playing with the other children. The instructor told my babysitter yesterday (she is the one who takes him; I have never been) that he should be evaluated because he doesn't interact normally with children his age.

Here's the thing, though. When we are at shul or on play dates with friends on Shabbos or Sundays, he does like to play with other kids. He and his little best friend play so nicely together all the time.

Maybe he's just shy around the kids he doesn't know very well?

What is normal for a 21 month-old in terms of socialization?

I am very worried now. At the same time, I am very angry. Who is this music teacher to tell me that my son has a problem? I am not trying to be defensive, but I just don't see the problem.

He is starting camp and then pre-school in late June. Should I just wait and see how it goes once he's with the same little group of kids every day? What would an evaluation for this kind of issue look like anyway?

So worried....

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 7:07 am
You can have him evaluated but parallel play is fairly normal still at this age. He is so young still. What can of music classes and movement classes is he engaged in? Can you go once and observe? I mean what is he doing exactly?

speciwoman

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 7:13 am
My understanding is that he likes to sit in his babysitter's lap and observe, as opposed to getting up and dancing and clapping with the other kids.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 7:19 am
my daughter, who is extremely shy, was like that. Maybe the babysitter can get up and clap and dance with him. "Come on little one, lets dance." She can pick him up and dance with him, swing him around, clap her hands or have him clap his.

I don't think he needs to be evaluated, I would just figure it isn't his thing and stop the course. As long as he is interacting with other people, your, your husband, the babysitter, does well on playdats, I wouldn't worry...he isn't even two yet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics