Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mixing formula with rice cereal

amother

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 3:19 am
I cant figure out the combination that I should be doing.

the packet for the rice cereal says that I should combine 5 tbsps of rice cereal with 180 mls of formula (this is in a bottle)

so, my baby usually drinks 150 mls of formula and that is 5 spoons of formula. I changed it to be two spoons of rice cereal and two spoons of formula.

but now she is extremely constipated.

anyone have any ideas?

greentiger

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 4:02 am
I don't think there are any fast rules with this, you need to do what works for your kid. How old is your baby? Maybe they are not ready for cereal yet.

YALT

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 6:05 am
mix some applesauce into it.
but every baby has something else that works.

But I have a piece of advice for you.
Choose to ignore, or follow. But I like to do my part by warning.
It is very dangerous for the baby to drink the cereal from a bottle. If someone is too lazy to spoon feed, then don't give any to the baby yet. If the baby needs to eat cereal then please spoon feed her/him.
It's a big choking hazard.

LuckyMum

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 6:08 am
I give my baby 2 spoons of cereal to 180 ml fomrula (3 scoops) - sometimes 240ml (4 scoops) and add some more water to it to help him drink it easyer - seems to be working for us

e1234

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 6:15 am
cut down the rice or try a different cereal.
my baby was very constipated so I took him off rice and apples and that really helped.
b'h now a few months later he is fine with all

amother

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 7:19 am
YALT wrote:
mix some applesauce into it.
but every baby has something else that works.

But I have a piece of advice for you.
Choose to ignore, or follow. But I like to do my part by warning.
It is very dangerous for the baby to drink the cereal from a bottle. If someone is too lazy to spoon feed, then don't give any to the baby yet. If the baby needs to eat cereal then please spoon feed her/him.
It's a big choking hazard.
my baby is having trouble getting into the whole eating thing so the doctor told us to add into her formula some other taste, so I am strating with rice cereal but it is in no way thinck at all. so I do not think that it is a chocking hazard like that.

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 7:35 am
amother wrote:

the packet for the rice cereal says that I should combine 5 tbsps of rice cereal with 180 mls of formula (this is in a bottle)

so, my baby usually drinks 150 mls of formula and that is 5 spoons of formula. I changed it to be two spoons of rice cereal and two spoons of formula.

anyone have any ideas?

what do you mean 2 spoons of formula? two scoops of formula?
I dont think you're meant to reduce scoops just because you're adding the rice cereal.
if shes constipated ask your doctor what you can give her (if she is refusing fruits like plums and pears)

amother

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:44 am
pinkbubbles wrote:
amother wrote:

anyone have any ideas?

what do you mean 2 spoons of formula? two scoops of formula?
I dont think you're meant to reduce scoops just because you're adding the rice cereal.
if shes constipated ask your doctor what you can give her (if she is refusing fruits like plums and pears)
meaning that if she usually has five scoops of formula, I should just be adding TO THAT some cedreal, it is not instead of the formula? wow, if thats the case, it makes sense why she became constipated.

Marion

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:51 am
Also, if you're trying to add "taste", rice cereal won't do it unless it already has something added to it. Rice cereal by itself is more tasteless than tofu. (I like tofu. It just has no taste without anything added to it. It takes on the flavour of what is added.)

amother

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:59 am
Marion wrote:
Also, if you're trying to add "taste", rice cereal won't do it unless it already has something added to it. Rice cereal by itself is more tasteless than tofu. (I like tofu. It just has no taste without anything added to it. It takes on the flavour of what is added.)
ah, I did not know that. so then what would be a better idea to add to formula to get a different kind of taste but that she would still drink it. any ideas?

drumjj

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 9:44 am
yes of course ur supposed to still use the constitancy to make the bottle like u usually would and then u add the rice cereal to it otherwise its also not as filling as its should be.

amother

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 9:50 am
drumjj wrote:
yes of course ur supposed to still use the constitancy to make the bottle like u usually would and then u add the rice cereal to it otherwise its also not as filling as its should be.
I thought that the rice cereal is more filling than the formula. I guess I was wrong. thanks everyone. I will try that or something else with more taste that she would hopefully have with the formula in her bottle.

any suggestions? of what to add to formula? for the taste?

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 10:14 am
you can get vanilla flavored rice cereal from Materna.

yes just make the bottle as normal then add the cereal (I think for you that would be like 1.5 spoons). if you're making in a bowl and spoon feeding add more cereal to make it less liquidy. and she might like it if you add a little juice or fruit puree. also DS used to like it runnier in the beginning, so I just added more formula or less cereal to make it thinner. also, if shes not taking anything but a bottle she might like finger feeding in the beginning. just dip your finger in to a little cereal and put it in her mouth for her to taste.

Marion

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:02 am
There's "baby" apple juice, or you can just use highly diluted juice. I used applesauce (unsweetened), mashed banana, mashed pear...obviously when served on a spoon.

drumjj

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
drumjj wrote:
I thought that the rice cereal is more filling than the formula. I guess I was wrong. thanks everyone. I will try that or something else with more taste that she would hopefully have with the formula in her bottle.

any suggestions? of what to add to formula? for the taste?

yes rice ismore filling but u have to make up a proper bottle then add the rice to get the maximum effect.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:27 am
The constipation could be from iron in the cereal. In the past, we've given diluted prune juice or fed them prune puree with good ... "results"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics