Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Should I put him to nap after daycare?

tzatza

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:35 pm
Ds is almost 2.5 and just started daycare : 9-2:30 where he doesn't nap. At home, he usually naps 12-1:30. After daycare he comes home exhausted and gets riled up. I put him to bed by 6 and he is out like a light till 6 AM. When we get home at 2:45, I give him food and ask if he wants to go shluffy (I see that he is tired since 6 AM), but he says "no". Should I just grab him and put him in his crib in hopes that he rests some and becomes more manageable or should I just continue with early bed time? THe thing is that my oldest was very easy about it and even though he didn't nap in daycare, his behavior was not affected. This one is more sensitive to such changes and I am not sure what to do.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:42 pm
u have to remember that if you let him take a nap at 3 in the afternoon, he's not going to go to bed till much later, which will affect your nites. right now, my 2.6 year old takes a nap when he gets home at 1, and goes to bed for the nite at 7, but in the summer when he's out till 2, I think we're going to skip the nap and have him in bed at 6 instead.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:46 pm
I agree with skipping the nap, and putting him to bed at 6:00pm. See if he gets used to it after a week. If he does, then you know you're on the right track. (You might need to adjust the bedtime to 6:30, after time goes on.)
If you really need him to nap, and do not mind if he will be up until 8:30 or even later, then try it that way.
Hatzlacha!

tzatza

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:51 pm
I think you r right (especially, late bedtime is not to my liking anyways since I work from home in the evenings). It's just that he gets so tantrumy (Smile) in the afternoon, but then again, it maybe age and daycare adjustment rather than skipped nap.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:53 pm
tzatza wrote:
I think you r right (especially, late bedtime is not to my liking anyways since I work from home in the evenings). It's just that he gets so tantrumy (Smile) in the afternoon, but then again, it maybe age and daycare adjustment rather than skipped nap.

I call 4:00/5:00 until bedtime... nutty hour Smile
But hopefully, it will be worthwhile once he is sleeping.
Be proactive. Have dinner in the oven when he comes home if possible, and then give him attention until dinner time. If I am able to give my dd some undivided attention during that time, it usually works better for everyone.
I know how hard it is, so good luck!

tzatza

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 9:02 pm
Well, I pick him up from daycare after work and rush home, where my babysitter (who watches my 10 m.o) has the dinner already warmed-up for my toddler. So, 3 hours before bedtime I have to split between both of them, plus the older one who comes home at 4:45 Smile

Twizzlers

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 9:05 pm
just wanted to add, that I find when my kids are cranky (from about 5-7 pm), taking them outside really calms them down. even if we just sit on the park bench and watch all the other kids run around, its calming, refreshing, and entertaining.

of course with all the rain we're having things are a bit bananas over here lately.... Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics