Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Nap time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:53 am
My almost 15 month old transitioned to 1 nap a day about a week ago, he really doesn’t need the second nap anymore and does well with long stretches awake. He sleeps well at night too. The problem is that he wakes up from his 1 nap after only 1 hour (I’m assuming because he’s used to 2 shorter naps) and he needs a longer nap. I’m pretty sure he’s on a good schedule with when his nap time is, I’ve done my research before transitioning. I’ve tried taking him out when he woke up and he was extremely cranky and tired… I try to wait 2-3 minutes when he wakes up to see if he’ll settle back to sleep if not I go in and settle him back down.. he ends up crying for close to half an hour, on and off, until he falls back asleep, and then he sleeps for another hour or two. What can I do to get him to do one stretch and stop waking up too early? Help!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
My almost 15 month old transitioned to 1 nap a day about a week ago, he really doesn’t need the second nap anymore and does well with long stretches awake. He sleeps well at night too. The problem is that he wakes up from his 1 nap after only 1 hour (I’m assuming because he’s used to 2 shorter naps) and he needs a longer nap. I’m pretty sure he’s on a good schedule with when his nap time is, I’ve done my research before transitioning. I’ve tried taking him out when he woke up and he was extremely cranky and tired… I try to wait 2-3 minutes when he wakes up to see if he’ll settle back to sleep if not I go in and settle him back down.. he ends up crying for close to half an hour, on and off, until he falls back asleep, and then he sleeps for another hour or two. What can I do to get him to do one stretch and stop waking up too early? Help!!

If he sleeps well at night, why is it a problem that he only takes a one hour nap? He’s older now and one hour may be all that he needs. Even if we wakes up a little cranky- as long as he is okay until bedtime and not cranky all afternoon
What time is he waking in the morning and what time are you putting him down for a nap? Usually lunch at like 11:30 and a 12:30-2:30 nap works for many at the one nap stage.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
If he sleeps well at night, why is it a problem that he only takes a one hour nap? He’s older now and one hour may be all that he needs. Even if we wakes up a little cranky- as long as he is okay until bedtime and not cranky all afternoon
What time is he waking in the morning and what time are you putting him down for a nap? Usually lunch at like 11:30 and a 12:30-2:30 nap works for many at the one nap stage.

He only does fine until bedtime if he takes a longer nap. I’m pretty sure 1 hour is too little for him, he needs a 2-2.5 hr nap. He wakes up at 7, I put him for his nap at 12:30, I take him out at 2:30-3 depending on when he wakes up, and then his bedtime is 7:30-8ish depending on when he woke up from his nap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
He only does fine until bedtime if he takes a longer nap. I’m pretty sure 1 hour is too little for him, he needs a 2-2.5 hr nap. He wakes up at 7, I put him for his nap at 12:30, I take him out at 2:30-3 depending on when he wakes up, and then his bedtime is 7:30-8ish depending on when he woke up from his nap.

Unless he just needs to get used to a one hour nap but I feel like having just moved to one nap it’s too short…

scintilla

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:37 pm
Try put him a little earlier, though I do think he will adjust soon, my kids always did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics