Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Have you ever gotten the cops called on you???
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:34 pm
Because I have. Tonight.

Tonight we went to dinner at a new restaurant. We get our food (it's a fancy restaurant for those who care) and dh's has pine nuts in it. I specifically asked the waitress if there are any nuts or pine nuts in what dh was getting - she said no. I did this because a lot of their food seemed to have them. Anyway, it came and was full of pine nuts - we had to send it back because dh is VERY allergic - read - hospital. Anyway, it turned into this HUGE balagan with them yelling at us and calling the cops.

Now, I have no problem the cops being called, because frankly, it was ridiculous, and, (this is unfortunate) but being a middle class, white, American, I'm not afraid of the police. I just wanted a date night out. My parents were babysitting, I have a toddler and an infant, both who are challenging, we come back to feed the baby and go out again, and my parents had had enough. Both kids were too much to bear.

So, my date night that I really needed for sanity's sake, made everything worse and I just want to cry.

bubby

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:38 pm
That's terrible! What happened afterwards? What did other diners do? And maybe you should let us know which restaurant it is (or at least the city!) so we can avoid it. No one wants to send something back that isn't satisfactory & get arrested (or whatever.)

I am so sorry your date night was ruined like this...so traumatic.

marina

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:40 pm
Intentional infliction of emotional distress is hard to prove, but is actionable legally.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:42 pm
so what did the cops say ... did you get your money back ... did you get handcuffed (were they cute Wink ) ...

back to you - how horrible for your night out to be ruined ...

I hope there's a way to make up for it ... another night out to a better place with no NUTsos ...

amother

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:43 pm
OP - all the other people were staring and basically, we stood outside the restaurant for 30 min. yelling back and forth with the men. I wanted to go home, but he was following us to take our license plate. I didn't want him anywhere near my car and would rather just talk to the cops...it was so horrible.

red sea

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:54 pm
that is the craziest story I have ever heard about a restaurant! why did they call the cops? it completely legal to send back what you order to the kitchen even if you tasted one bite & dont like it, isnt it?

like you said "you said it has no nuts, please get something else, dh is allergic"

then they said " pay or we will call the cops"? Scratching Head

bubby

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 10:04 pm
Must be a slow night in your neighborhood if the police would bother with such nonsense. I feel so bad for you.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:07 pm
My DD had a bunch of friends over. They made some prank phone calls from our houe (about 10 p.m.). One person they called knew who it was and called the cops. They arrived at 1:30 a.m. I think they wanted to scare us?????? I was awake anyway, thank G-d. We explained situation to them. Seems this person had been harassed by other kids and was freaking out. Wasn't the best night of my life!

Sounds like the men were crazy! Sorry they ruined your night.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:50 pm
My friend hands out business cards when her son is having an ‘autism moment’ in the shopping mall, supermarkets, etc. It says “my son is 7 and has a disorder called PDD-NOS, a form of autism. He is not able to behave appropriately in social settings. For more information, you can visit www.autismspeaks.org and even make a donation if possible.

Now, this is an extreme example but your hubby should definitely carry a doctor’s note in his wallet. I have a letter about my crohn’s disease: doctor’s letterhead: patient has been diagnosed with crohn’s disease and must have access to a bathroom at all times.” I almost never use it except when I’m in a store like CVS pharmacy and they claim they have ‘no bathroom’. I’ll ask “what do you do when you need to use the bathroom” usually they stare, sometimes they’ll mumbles “ma’m the bathroom is for employees only” and that’s when I’ll whip out my card.

Don’t get into such an unpleasant situation again, it’s horrible and you’ll never forget it. just politely whip out your card.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
Because I have. Tonight.

Tonight we went to dinner at a new restaurant. We get our food (it's a fancy restaurant for those who care) and dh's has pine nuts in it. I specifically asked the waitress if there are any nuts or pine nuts in what dh was getting - she said no. I did this because a lot of their food seemed to have them. Anyway, it came and was full of pine nuts - we had to send it back because dh is VERY allergic - read - hospital. Anyway, it turned into this HUGE balagan with them yelling at us and calling the cops.

Now, I have no problem the cops being called, because frankly, it was ridiculous, and, (this is unfortunate) but being a middle class, white, American, I'm not afraid of the police. I just wanted a date night out. My parents were babysitting, I have a toddler and an infant, both who are challenging, we come back to feed the baby and go out again, and my parents had had enough. Both kids were too much to bear.

So, my date night that I really needed for sanity's sake, made everything worse and I just want to cry.

So what part of the story are you leaving out? People don't call the police because someone sent a dish back.

DF79

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 3:15 pm
A neighbor once called the cops on my family. Dh got arrested while the cops worked though the issue. It was a disspute about the noice level and the neighbor said that DH had threatened him. After about an hour they let DH go. Its funny now but then it wasn't.

happyone

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Because I have. Tonight.

So what part of the story are you leaving out? People don't call the police because someone sent a dish back.

I agree with this. What are we missing here?

geemum

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:03 pm
Neighbours called the cops on Purim because we had a "Haman on the gallows" hanging out the window.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Because I have. Tonight.

I was wondering the same thing.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:08 pm
geemum wrote:
Neighbours called the cops on Purim because we had a "Haman on the gallows" hanging out the window.
You mean, there was something in the shape of a human being, hanging from a noose, like a dead man? And children walking by could see it?

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:11 pm
my neighbor called the cops when she thought we were abusing my daughter(my dd was screaming her head off at the time).the cops come,see my daughter w/all her hair(she has very thick red hair down her back at 6yrsold).so the policeman ask her why she is crying.she replies"I dont want to get my hair combed I want to go outside and play!".the cop asks her"does your mommy hit u".my daughter "no but she likes to come my hair when I want to go outside!"
during all this my neighbor is speaking to the other cop and u can hear her accusing us of all kind of horrible things.
the cop goes to the other neighbor on the other side of my hse to speak w/them.they tell the cops this lady has done this to others beside us.I think the cops wanted to take her to jail for wasting their time.

I was fuming of course. Twisted Evil not to mention embarrassed

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:19 pm
There is a crazy lady who lives across from us. Any time somebody comes to visit us and parks in front of our house, either on the street, partly on the street and partly on our lawn, or even 100% on our lawn - she calls the cops. She claims she can't get out of her driveway without hitting the car on our side of the street. It's a normal wide street. I think she shouldn't be driving if this is a big problem for her.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 5:53 pm
notice how we all have had interesting neighbors!! LOL they should all live on the same block.and we shoudl be able to watch

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 6:02 pm
Akeres Habayis wrote:
my neighbor called the cops when she thought we were abusing my daughter(my dd was screaming her head off at the time).the cops come,see my daughter w/all her hair(she has very thick red hair down her back at 6yrsold).so the policeman ask her why she is crying.she replies"I dont want to get my hair combed I want to go outside and play!".the cop asks her"does your mommy hit u".my daughter "no but she likes to come my hair when I want to go outside!"
during all this my neighbor is speaking to the other cop and u can hear her accusing us of all kind of horrible things.
the cop goes to the other neighbor on the other side of my hse to speak w/them.they tell the cops this lady has done this to others beside us.I think the cops wanted to take her to jail for wasting their time.

I was fuming of course. Twisted Evil not to mention embarrassed

OY! Akeres! that wasn't recently was it?
We had to call the cops on a neighbor of ours who pounded on our door and threatened to kill my dh chas v'shalom over some rennovation plans that were approved (but we never could afford to carry out in the end) this was at 6 am...

They got "revenge" by throwing maggot filled dog poop in front of our door when we came home after I delivered my third baby...
(we weren't 100% sure, but were 90% sure it was them. Dh told me to get a sample of the dog doo so the police could do DNA testing, but decided it leave it since it was the beginning of the nine days and you should avoid legal conflicts with other Yidden during the Nine Days)...

Well, they moved
Hooray Drunken Smile so l'chaim! L'chaim!

Merrymom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 6:06 pm
Clarissa wrote:
geemum wrote:
You mean, there was something in the shape of a human being, hanging from a noose, like a dead man? And children walking by could see it?

Clarissa, if only you knew how common this is in our neighborhood. You see baby dolls hanging from nooses to represent the ten sons and then a figure of Haman too as the non-Jewish maids and delivery trucks, not to mention all the regular traffic takes this in. I always cringe from the chilul Hashem, that we look like blood-thirsty people. Not everyone knows the Purim story you know. If we all lived in EY it would be different but this is primarily a non-Jewish land, I wish people would think before they do this.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette