Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
This is why rules were NOT meant to be broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1  2  3  Next

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:44 am
Because if you would enforce the rule about not sending kids to daycare with bags of treats in the morning, no one would have shared PEANUT M&M's with my peanut-allergic son, and I wouldn't be sitting here panicking that you won't recognize the signs of a reaction in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:49 am
Marion wrote:
Because if you would enforce the rule about not sending kids to daycare with bags of treats in the morning, no one would have shared PEANUT M&M's with my peanut-allergic son, and I wouldn't be sitting here panicking that you won't recognize the signs of a reaction in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is your son now????

I realize that sounded cold alone. I was wondering if you were in the hospital with him or racing to get him and what else we can do.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:00 am
I am both terrified and furious for you.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:07 am
He's still in daycare. At this point no news is good news, nonetheless.

I gave the menahelet an earful. And I'm sitting here preparing a guidelines sheet for how to proceed.

He's only ever reacted "superficially" (hives) before, and we're so so careful for him not to come near it. He's never actually eaten something that contains a peanut...previous exposures were cross-contamination issues (Bamba on someone's hand who touched something else...). So we don't KNOW if he's anaphylactic or not at this particular moment.

I can only operate on what I do know, which is how the allergy progressed in me, and tell them what to look for.

If he'd been mid-reaction when she called I wouldn't have raced to get him because I wouldn't have made it in time. I would have told her to call MDA and met them at the hospital (which is 1/2 way between me and him anyway).

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:18 am
OY Marion SO SORRY that happened.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:20 am
Marion wrote:
He's still in daycare. At this point no news is good news, nonetheless.

I gave the menahelet an earful. And I'm sitting here preparing a guidelines sheet for how to proceed.

He's only ever reacted "superficially" (hives) before, and we're so so careful for him not to come near it. He's never actually eaten something that contains a peanut...previous exposures were cross-contamination issues (Bamba on someone's hand who touched something else...). So we don't KNOW if he's anaphylactic or not at this particular moment.

I can only operate on what I do know, which is how the allergy progressed in me, and tell them what to look for.

If he'd been mid-reaction when she called I wouldn't have raced to get him because I wouldn't have made it in time. I would have told her to call MDA and met them at the hospital (which is 1/2 way between me and him anyway).

This is so scary. Keeping him in my prayers.

geemum

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:54 am
Sorry to hear about this - I'm not surprised you're really angry now.

But, to be devil's advocate:

QUOTE _ I gave the menahelet an earful

That's not fair. She has a really hard job as it is and I'm sure she 's doing her best. I remember when I was at school there was a kid who was very highly allergic. one of her biggest problems was she couldn't eat, touch or even SMELL fish. But then, the school didn't ban fish, she just had to be careful herself (and I remember this in junior school).

Yes I understand peanut allergy is really serious, but don't be ungrateful for what the rest of us (especially the school) are doing to try to help your child.

Wishing you son better. Don't be mad at me, I don't mean to upset you more, just want to show you how lucky you are that the school (and mothers) try to accomodate your needs.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:09 am
geemum wrote:
Sorry to hear about this - I'm not surprised you're really angry now.

But, to be devil's advocate:

QUOTE _ I gave the menahelet an earful

That's not fair. She has a really hard job as it is and I'm sure she 's doing her best. I remember when I was at school there was a kid who was very highly allergic. one of her biggest problems was she couldn't eat, touch or even SMELL fish. But then, the school didn't ban fish, she just had to be careful herself (and I remember this in junior school).

Yes I understand peanut allergy is really serious, but don't be ungrateful for what the rest of us (especially the school) are doing to try to help your child.

Wishing you son better. Don't be mad at me, I don't mean to upset you more, just want to show you how lucky you are that the school (and mothers) try to accomodate your needs.

No, the mother who sent her 3 year old to daycare with Peanut M&Ms for breakfast was NOT trying to accomodate anything beyond her inability to get up 10 minutes earlier to feed her child properly. (The one who sends strawberry Bamba instead of the regular because she knows the regular is an issue, her I could see saying that she's trying to be accomodating.)

Sorry, that just doesn't fly with me. And it's not related even to the allergy issue. The daycare has a rule you don't send with baggies for breakfast. They need to enforce that rule. Had they been doing so since September then no mother would have done such a thing in June; she'd have known better by now. And, frankly, I've complained about this lack of rule enforcement several times already this year. We were at the same daycare last year, and let me tell you, the staff in his class last year and the parents were considerably more aware & accomodating & careful. This year there are a few who couldn't care less, as long as it doesn't concern their child they're not interested. It's quite clear.

Thank G-d, as far as we know he's not airborne or odour allergic, but they had to fish an M&M out of his mouth. That just stinks of poor supervision at that given moment.

ABC

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:14 am
this is shocking, not just because of allergies, but what about peanut m&ms for breakfast????!!!!!!! shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock

aside from being unbelievably unhealthy, I don't know how old they are, but it's unsafe to let children under the age of 5 eat nuts at all, it's a choking hazard.

I'm appalled on your behalf marion!! I hope your child is ok.

greentiger

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:16 am
Regardless of allergies, kids should NOT be allowed to share treats in school. ESPECIALLY if there is a rule not to bring them.

I hate mothers like that. What are they thinking? "Great rule, but not for my kid. He needs his M&Ms every morning." ???

I;m sorry this happened, and I hope your son is ok.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:17 am
Marion wrote:
No, the mother who sent her 3 year old to daycare with Peanut M&Ms for breakfast was NOT trying to accomodate anything beyond her inability to get up 10 minutes earlier to feed her child properly. (The one who sends strawberry Bamba instead of the regular because she knows the regular is an issue, her I could see saying that she's trying to be accomodating.)

I understand that your upset. Rightfully so. I would be too. However, were you in that child's house that morning? Do you know who got him/her out of the house? Did you speak to the child's parents? Could someone else have given it to him (like Grandma when she dropped him off)?

What upsets me more is how you accuse her of "inability to get up 10 minutes earlier to feed her child properly." How dare you?! I have terrible morning sickness and can't function. Without exaggeration, I threw up 5x within 1 hr this morning and once, I couldn't make it to the toilet. My Dh takes care of my kids in the morning and ships them out. Sometimes, with 4 kids under 5, he doesn't have the time/energy to fight with them.

Please find out all info before you start attacking the poor mother who may-or may not- feel terribly guilty when she hears what happened.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:24 am
amother wrote:
Marion wrote:

What upsets me more is how you accuse her of "inability to get up 10 minutes earlier to feed her child properly." How dare you?! I have terrible morning sickness and can't function. Without exaggeration, I threw up 5x within 1 hr this morning and once, I couldn't make it to the toilet. My Dh takes care of my kids in the morning and ships them out. Sometimes, with 4 kids under 5, he doesn't have the time/energy to fight with them.

If it's who I think it was then it's a repeat offender. And yes, it's a question of her waking up the child 10 minutes earlier.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:31 am
I don't have an allergic child, but DS has had one in his class the last 2 years (different ones) and I am really surprised how many reminder notes had to come home both years. I understand that a lot of people have a big family and it is hard to remember and pass on all the details for each child, but I am still surprised since this can be life threatening and I wouldn't want it on my conscious. It is not the matter of feeding them before they leave. I understand peanut free schools and I think they should institute it more, but I don't know what the dairy allergic and egg allergic children would do here in school.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:35 am
Any news? How soon would a reaction take? Is it maybe better to send him to the clinic for observation and where maybe they could give him some sort of prophylactic treatment?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:39 am
why are the kids allowed to share their food???? especially with an allergic child. I would also be furious if this happened, for kashrus reasons.

and whats wrong with a bag of cereal?? sorry, if this mother is sending candy for breakfast she has got issues.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:45 am
Raisin wrote:
why are the kids allowed to share their food???? especially with an allergic child. I would also be furious if this happened, for kashrus reasons.

and whats wrong with a bag of cereal?? sorry, if this mother is sending candy for breakfast she has got issues.

who said she sent it for breakfast for goodness sake!!!! Do you never send your kids with snacks for later? And like amother said above, maybe someone else gave it to him?

Have you ever taught a preschool class? Sometimes all the teachers are dealing with other kids/things and no one notices someone else's sharing. The teachers noticed immediately after as they pulled it out. Accidents happen all the time.

I'm not saying for a second that Marion shouldn't be upset. After all, it is her child's life at risk! However, I do believe some benefit of the doubt should be given by Imamother posters before calling this woman one with "issues".

Marion, I think your son needs to be taught that he may NEVER accept food from ANYONE without asking an adult first. Of course he's only little so he may forget... sorry this happened!

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:47 am
Perhaps the teachers should be trained to inspect the children's bags when they come to school to avoid such problems. I know they shouldn't have to but that's just life.

We did this one yr in day camp and prevented accidents a couple of times. It only took an extra 30 seconds per kid every morning.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:48 am
Raisin wrote:

So how do you balance being polite and sharing with others? I'm sure I could find a number of threads about hoe 'selfish' the kids are in so-and-so's class....

Basically it is the parents' responsibility to make sure approved foods are sent and it is the teachers' responsibility to enforce the rule.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:50 am
A lot of kids, few adults.
The child could have taken the candy for him or herself for that day (I mean the one with the candy, not your son Marion.)
Some other member of the family could have sent the food off.

I believe Marion's son is under three, and it is hard to teach an under 3 not to take candy from a friend; or even from helping himself. These are little kids. They aren't really thinking about much more than the next ten minutes or so.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:55 am
Marion? Any updates?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics