Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
ISO Smooth soup recipes

ABC

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:29 am
my kids love soup as long as there are no obvious signs that it was made from real vegetables.

I need more recipes for soups that puree to smooth and silky, in addition to the one they eat already - carrot and lentil with sweet potato.

what combinations puree really well? looking to use some different vegetables. I know practically anything can be thrown in a pot and pureed, but I'm looking for good tried and tested combinations.

while I'm here, what does ETA mean? thanks!

merelyme

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:42 am
Chop a lot of onions, carrots, potatoes (optional) and squash in separate piles.
Sautee the onions. Add the carrots and sautee, add potatoes and sautee, add squash and sautee. Puree with hand (stick) blender.
We like to leave a few pieces of vegetables to make the texture a little more interesting, but you could puree it smooth.
Add salt, pepper, and (if necessary) a pinch of sugar.

ETA means edited to add.

Enjoy!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:55 am
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH! (it blends really nice and smooth, sweet. you can add a bit of cinnamon)
- parsnip (nice and sweet, add a bit of curry powder if you want)
- potato and green peas (lovely green-ish colour. The trick is add the frozen peas toward the end. Don't overcook)
- tomato and lentil, or plain cream of tomato
- cream of celeriac with potato (yes, that knobbly root vegetables)

Inspired

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:58 am
abc- can you post the recipe for the carrot lentil soup. please?

red sea

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:33 am
Inspired wrote:
abc- can you post the recipe for the carrot lentil soup. please?

yes, please post it?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:46 am
are you going to grind lentils ?

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:49 am
leek and potato is yummy.

(cm, you cook the lentils then puree)

Ronit

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:50 am
creamy zuchini
lima bean parsnip
creamy asparagus

YALT

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:02 am
(Almost) any soup can be blended. I also don't like most of these things until blended.
Below are some tried & true that I made for upsherin, so I have it typed in the computer.
I also make the kemach tube-pkg of splitpea soup. I follow the directions & then I blend it. really good.
Last week I made a big pot of soup that I froze in containers for DH to take to work once a week.
I just cooked up a pot with all kinds of things including: carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, chickpeas, split peas, barley, (I don't remember what else.) I let it cook for a while & then I blended it. He came home from work & said it was the best lunch he's had in a long time! (I was actually planning to leave it in pieces, thinking he'd psychologically feel fuller. But he asked me to please blend it)

Tomato Soup:
1 can 46-oz tomato juice
1x refill can with water
2 tsp. salt
½ c. sugar
½ c. rice or barley - OPTIONAL! (I normally make it without either & just serve with croutons/breadsticks or whatever)

If not doing rice or barley, just bring to boil.
If doing rice: boil & simmer for 20 minutes.
If doing barley: boil & simmer for 1 hour or until barley cooked.

Butternut Squash Soup:
1 onion
1 butternut squash
1 sweet potato
2 zucchinis
2-3 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 garlic
salt & pepper

Sautee 1 onion in oil until translucent.
Dice & add everything else. Saute for about 10 minutes.
Cover with water & bring to boil.
Simmer for 1-1½ hours.
Blend with hand blender.

Zucchini Soup:
onions
zucchinis
salt & pepper

Sautee onions & zucchini
Add water to cover, salt & pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer for 15 minutes (until mashable)
Blend with handblender.

elmos

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:22 pm
I do a veg split pea soup I just chop up or use frozen onion, garlic, carrot, celery, zuchini, cauliflower, yellow squash, sweet potato?,broccoli, fresh or canned mushrooms, string beans I use dry lima bean and dry split pea for nice color I mix yellow and green sometimes I leave out broc.. green pease so people do not think its to healthy I do not always use all these veggies it depend what I have on hand. I season with pepper garlic onion powder salt and sometimes soup mix, and or dill, parsley, chives. I simmer this all for about 2-3 hours till everything is soft and than I use my handblender /immersion blender and I blend it all up and it freezes well to.

I also do a cauliflower soup and a mock asparagus soup made frm zuchini and potato no asparagus insight and a cream of celery soup. If you want any of these recipes let me know and I will post them just not near my recipes rt. now.
Goodluck most soups I find blend well as I blend alot because if dh sees a veg. chunck he will not eat it.

YALT

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:28 pm
elmos, can u please post the celery soup?

INSPIREME

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 9:09 pm
Broccoli soup

Saute: 2 T. oil
2 T. flour
2 cloves crushed garlic

Add 2 lbs. frozen broccoli and water to barely cover - cook 45 minutes and blend. Add salt to taste

elmos

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 12:23 am
The cream of celery soup recipe is
2 large onions (diced)
3tbsps. oil
2 large parsley roots (diced)
4-5 stalks celery(diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
7 cups water
1 tbsp salt
3 potatoes (cubed)
In a 5qt pot saute onions until golden. add parsley roots, celery and garlic. saute for a few min untl veg are soft add water and salt cook for 30 min.
Add potatoes and cook for 30-40 min until pot are soft. Blend veg in soup until texture is creamy add water for desired consistency.

Thi is the rcipe from balabustes choice I add pepper sometimes or I add in place of salt chicken consome but that depend son the spice taste of your family.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:38 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH! (it blends really nice and smooth, sweet. you can add a bit of cinnamon)
- parsnip (nice and sweet, add a bit of curry powder if you want)
- potato and green peas (lovely green-ish colour. The trick is add the frozen peas toward the end. Don't overcook)
- tomato and lentil, or plain cream of tomato
- cream of celeriac with potato (yes, that knobbly root vegetables)

how do you make your parsnip soup? I am looking for a recipe that does not have potatoes in it.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:47 pm
Here is one that I make, from the original Moosewood Cookbook. I sometimes substitute squash for half of the carrots. I make it with the thyme, marjoram and basil option. To save a pot to wash, I sautee the onions and garlic, then add the water and carrots in the same pot to cook. Also, I leave the milk out while cooking. As I serve the soup in bowls, I pour some milk on the top of each. This helps to cool it off for the kids! This soup is really good with toast or croutons.

2 pounds peeled or scrubbed, chopped carrots
4 cups stock or water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium potato, chopped (optional, for heartier soup)
3-4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1-2 small cloves crushed garlic
1/3 cup chopped cashews or almonds

Choose one:
1 cup milk
1 cup yogurt or buttermilk plus a little honey
1/2 pint heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Seasoning choices:
-2 pinches of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, dash of cinnamon
-1 teaspoon each of thyme, marjoram and basil
-1 teaspoon grated ginger

Place carrots, liquid and salt (and potato if you are using it) into a medium sized soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer it for 12-15 minutes. Let it cool to room temp.

Saute the onion, garlic and nuts in the butter until the onions are clear. You can sprinkle in a little salt to help draw the moisture out of the onions. Towards the end of cooking, stir in the seasoning combo of your choice.

Puree everything together in a blender until smooth. Return to stove to heat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics