Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Spread recipes?

smiley:)

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 3:08 am
Does anyone have recipes of spreads (for on bread)?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 8:11 am
You can obviously do hummous or tehina.

Baba ganoush
2 LARGE aubergines
sprinkle of salt
2 tbsp tehini (can be more if you want it more creamy/tehini-ey, I use minimum)
1/2 onion, chopped and sauteed (alternatively use fried onions in package)
2 teasp onion soup mix
lemon, parlsey, pine nuts for ganish

Preheat broiler (or broiling part of the oven). Cut aubergines in half lengthwise, place on a foil baking pan cut side down. Sprinkle a dash or two of salt. Broil till the outside skin is completely charred. Let cool and scoop up the inside flesh. (It can yield some liquid which I drain off). Mash up the pulp with folk, add tehini, sauteed onion and soup mix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mushroom spread
1 lb mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
vegetable oil for frying
1 tbsp onion soup mix
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp matzo meal/bread crumbs

In a large skillet, heat oil and fry mushrooms, onion and garlic. Add soup mix and seasoning and continue to fry till all liquid evaporates. (Mushroom yields lots of liquid, it can turn brown but it's ok). Once cooled, whizz in a blender (can be either a bit chunky or more smooth). Thicken with matzo meal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Olive, artichoke and anchovy spread
1/2 tin green pitted olives, drained well
3-4 tinned or frozen artichoke bottoms, drained well (if tinned) or defrosted (if frozen)
4-5 anchovy pieces/rolls (can be skipped)
1 tsp grated lemon zest (about 1/4 of lemon)
3 tbsp mayo

Cut artichoke into smaller pieces. Blend the whole thing.
This is a bit on salty side so go very easy. It's also delish with pasta.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pesto (dairy real McCoy version)

2 large packs of fresh basil (about 100g?)
60g pine nuts (small package)
a good chunk of parmesan cheese (about 60g?)
5-6 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
30-40cc virgin olive oil
salt

Wash, clean and check basil leaves. Discard stems and dry off water with paper towels.
Toast pine nuts in an unoiled frying pan. (they burn quickly, keep on tossing nuts in the pan).
Whizz parmesan cheese into powders in a blender.
Heat olive oil and a dash of salt in a frying pan, sautee all but 1 garlic cloves till cooked but before browned.
In a blender, add all ingredients (toasted pine nuts, basil leaves--large ones may need to be torn, powdere parmesan cheese, olive oil with garlic, 1 raw garlic clove) and puree till the whole thing turn into bright green-coloured paste. You may have to add a bit more olive oil to make it runny. Check seasoning--you'll probably need to add salt. This can be frozen--don't worry if the surface turns dull green, it's just oxydisation. This is quite concentrated--can be "diluted" with mayo for dips, or with a bit of warm water for pasta sauce.

smiley:)

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:45 pm
Thanks! Especially the mushroom one sounds good to me!

mandksima

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 1:03 am
I take frozen spinach, defrost and squeeze out liquid. Add a few tablespoons mayo (depends how much spinach I use), a few squeezes lemon and onion soup mix (no msg) or a combo of salt and onion flakes. Blend with an immersion stick and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Yummy!

I make eggplant dips sometimes by roasting an eggplant sliced in half lengthwise on a pan lined with parchment until soft (at least 1/2 an hour, more like 45 min). Sometimes, I'll add a red pepper and roast that too. Cool off and scoop out insides. In the meantime saute 1-2 onions in olive oil until soft. Cool. Blend together with a little mayo or more olive oil, add salt and pepper, dash garlic powder, squeeze lemon, dash cumin, little bit of fresh parsley or corriander.

The mushroom dip sounds great, I'll have to try that.

What about an egg and onion spread? Saute an onion or 2 till really soft. Blend with hard boiled egg and a tiny bit of raw onion. Add more olive oil and salt and pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics