Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any update on shulamith?

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 1:47 pm
I still haven't registered my daughters for school next year. I sort of decided on a school outside of brooklyn but haven't signed any papers or paid any money yet because I'm still not 100% sure. I'm not thrilled they're co-ed, since we're out of borough there's a commute (no school bus), many of the parents are not religious, and I have to pack school lunches. (not to mention $3000 in fees in addition to an exorbitant tuition...)

I've been mulling over what to do and today out of the blue someone from shulamith called me.

I asked her a bunch of questions and basically she said the school is in tact, there are 15 kids in kindergarten, and 2 classes of 15 each in pre 1A. she said if the building is sold the school will stay together and relocate (which to me says they're up in the air....)

are there any shulamith parents or insiders on here who have better insight on what's going on there? I was really surprised they called, especially when I've been agonizing over the schooling decision, because I would have never called them...

as a parent, would you consider sending there? I'm so confused!

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 3:21 pm
I dont know anything about the school, but I do happen to know that there is being some kind of tea/chinese auction tomorrow nite from about 6-9 in the school building for the mothers of the students. maybe if you stop in, you could ask around about your concerns.

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 5:09 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I dont know anything about the school, but I do happen to know that there is being some kind of tea/chinese auction tomorrow nite from about 6-9 in the school building for the mothers of the students. maybe if you stop in, you could ask around about your concerns.

thanks. I have a friend who's a parent there so maybe I could tag along with her as opposed to being a weird stalker lady hounding all the parents Very Happy

anyone else, please feel free to chime in!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:33 pm
Well here's a thought....since it sounds like your alternative is to be commuting (my guess is manhattan or LI?) Have you explored the possibility of sending your DD to shulamith and if it closes, then sending her to the 5T shulamith? Ask them if that will be an option. Since it sounds like you'll be commuting if you don't go with shulamith (brooklyn) at least this way your DD will be surrounded by others that are more in-line with your thinking...and it really is a great school. That's just my 2 cents!

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 6:47 pm
thanks for your input amother!

shulamith LI is significantly further than the other school we were considering. so I doubt I'd transfer there.

so I didn't get to go tonight but I talked to my friend who's a parent to a kindergartener there and she was pushing the school. she's in love with it.... so I'm going to consider them. at least I'll go down and speak to them and see if I like the school.

any other opinions are welcome Smile

southernima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:09 pm
Has there been any update and Shulamith and the new building? I haven't heard anything.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:09 pm
southernima wrote:
Has there been any update and Shulamith and the new building? I haven't heard anything.

I just went there 2 weeks ago to interview with my dds.

they said they will probably move buildings, but there were no specifics.

southernima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:44 pm
did they get the new building in inwood?

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:52 am
oh I was talking about the brooklyn campus; not sure about LI.

lost

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:07 pm
Has there been any other updates? OP, did you decide to send there in the end?

I'm in the same exact boat as you. After weighing my options with the schools that are available in Brooklyn I realized that there isn't a single one which would be rational for me to send DD to. I'm praying that Shulamith stays open, but I too have concerns about sending my child to a school which is undergoing so many changes. At what age does their Pre 1K program start and where will it be next September?

If anyone on here sends their children there now can you please provide your take on the current state of the school and where it is possibly heading?

iriska_meller

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:09 pm
See my reply in the other shulamith topic. If you have any more questions PM me Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics