Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Another attemp by Rivki....

ClaRivka

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 11:04 pm
I made whole wheat challah today. It always comes out yeasty and hard! Its not soft at all. I use the white whole wheat specifically so it will b lighter!

smily

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 11:20 pm
How does your reg not whole wheat come out

ClaRivka

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 1:02 am
I havent made reg wheat challah in years. but as far as I can remember it was always doughy and flat.

challi

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 12:26 pm
either you let it rise too much didn't knead it enough or put too much flour in

Do you measure the flour or add it by eye until it looked right? ( a tip I learned is that you add flour until the dough fees like the way an earlobe feels. Masage your earlobe between your thumb and forefinger and you'll see what I mean)

I use whole wheat flour (not the white one) and it always comes out soft and fluffy.

I call my recipe the recipe of 3's

3TBS dry yeast
3 cups of water
1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar or other sweetener (depending on taste)

and 3 cups (x3) of flour or enough for it to feel like your ear ( total of about 9 cups or so)
3 tBS of oil
3 tsp of kosher salt
3 eggs

I also sometimes add 3 TBS of vital wheat gluten, but even without it its still fluffy

Last edited by challi on Fri, May 22 2009, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

ClaRivka

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 2:48 pm
hm...maybe I dont knead it enuf. I just sort of mix it. and I always have too much flour. but I go according to the directions and use a measuring cup...

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:02 pm
For any kind of challah you need to knead it until the dough feels smooth and elasticy. You can do it be hand (keep pulling out and folding over the dough until it feels right) or by machine (sufficiently powerful mixer [Bosch, Magic Mill, some KitchenAids, etc.] or food processer [small amounts only]).

ClaRivka

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:12 pm
I dont own a food processor or mixer so hand only. usually just mixing it with a spoon and then hand is what I do.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:16 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
I dont own a food processor or mixer so hand only. usually just mixing it with a spoon and then hand is what I do.

By hand is fine too. Just make sure you really knead it, not just mix it, like I described above, until the dough is smooth, not sticky and elastic.

sreeta

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:22 pm
Challi- does your recipe have any sweetners in it?
Also, do you the cookbook, Dining In? there is an amazing whole wheat challah recipe in there. If not let me know and I will pass it on.

challi

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:27 pm
If you are kneading by hand it should knead for at least 10min. Any less and the bread could be crumbly. Also don't measure the flour cup for cup. Add the last few as needed and keep checking it so you don't put in too much.

How much you actually need is based on a million different factor you can't plan for. Humidity, barometer, air pressure, weather changes etc. For me every week I need different amounts.

Oh and with the kneading, the dough should be springy and firm once its properly kneaded.

p.s., until recently I didn't have a mixer or processor either Just my hands.

challi

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:32 pm
sreeta wrote:
Challi- does your recipe have any sweetners in it?
Also, do you the cookbook, Dining In? there is an amazing whole wheat challah recipe in there. If not let me know and I will pass it on.

oh sorry yes I put in between 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar depending on how sweet I want it. I'll fix my post.

Also I add all the yeast, warm water, and sugar together to proof it, then I add 3 cups of flour and stir till well mixed, then I add eggs, then some more flour, then oil, then flour but it should still be watery, then salt, then more flour, then keep stirring till I can't anymore, then I knead it with some more flour till the right consistancy.

I think the order I do it makes a big difference too.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:42 pm
don't go 100% by the recipe! flour crop varies and will sometimes absorb more or less liquid than at other times. you should always leave the last 1-2 cups aside and add it in slowly till it feels right.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:45 pm
ok guys! im going to try this again next week! hope it comes out better!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:47 pm
nicole81 wrote:
don't go 100% by the recipe! flour crop varies and will sometimes absorb more or less liquid than at other times. you should always leave the last 1-2 cups aside and add it in slowly till it feels right.

Yes, that is absolutely the case. My regular recipe calls for 10 cups of flour and I rarely use more than 8.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 4:21 pm
I just made a butter squash bread. I kneaded it and hoefully itll come out ok. I also didnt go by the flour amounts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads