Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time did davening finish
Previous  1  2  3

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:24 am
I know, we both napped the 2nd day.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:26 am
8:15am-12:30pm
8:15am-12:45pm

and dh did:

5:45am-10:00am
5:45am-10:15am

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 1:36 am
Where on earth do all you women live? By us all the minyanim started either before neitz or latest 6:30am - and finished at around 2pm.

shabri

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 2:08 am
Dh went to neitz 5:30-11:05 the first day and 11:30 the 2nd day.

Then I went to the regular minyan without the kiddies. They started at 7 and ended at 12:10 the 1st day and 12:40 the 2nd day

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 4:39 am
8am start, finished a little after 1pm on the first day, 1:30pm on the second day.
No kiddush. Just snack time for kids though spotted some men helping themselves withou asking for honey cake and fruits meant for the kids! Mad

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 10:46 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
8am start, finished a little after 1pm on the first day, 1:30pm on the second day.
No kiddush. Just snack time for kids though spotted some men helping themselves withou asking for honey cake and fruits meant for the kids! Mad

So what did everyone do about kiddush? It's ossur to fast past chatzot on a chag! Anyway, I'm terribly jealous of all you lot who start at 8am - even on Shabbos we start no later than 7:30am - the last minyan here (known as the "shleppers minyan") starts at 8:30am Confused

Zus

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 11:05 am
Wow your davenings are all so long!

Ours was 5.30-8.45 on shabat and 5.30-9.30 the second day. No rushing.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 11:40 am
DH davened in Yeshiva. I think it was like 6:45 - 2:45/3:00.

I got to daven for an hour in a local shul (took turns with SIL). they finished about 2:20 and started I think around 7:15.

Mama Bear wrote:
5 p.m.

what do you do for the rest of the day since you're not allowed to sleep?

Mama Bear - we were told we had to finish both our meals on shabbos by a certain time - if DH had come home at 5:00 we would have never finished by then. (as it was we didn't finish in time anyways). That also only left you like an hour to eat before mincha. Thats not such a long time for the sueda. How did you do it.

Ronit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:11 pm
sky wrote:
That also only left you like an hour to eat before mincha. Thats not such a long time for the sueda. How did you do it.

Shabbos morning we where home just dh & I, so the meal didn't take that long- so it wasn't a big deal.

Sunday morning we ate at my inlaws & there was enough men there, so they made their own minyan at home. They actually davened between the fish & the main dish, so there was no rushing either.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:15 pm
Wow, after hearing about all these extremely late times, I'll never complain again when we get out past 2. Ok, I lied, I will still complain. If my shul started getting out a lot later than 2, I'd probably start shopping for a different place for Rosh Hashana.

Ronit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:20 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Wow, after hearing about all these extremely late times, I'll never complain again when we get out past 2. Ok, I lied, I will still complain. If my shul started getting out a lot later than 2, I'd probably start shopping for a different place for Rosh Hashana.

For me it's not about shopping around for a place. Dh wants to daven w/ his rebbe on RH & his Rebbe is OLD- so it's not like they daven all that time, just that they go according to the rebbe's schedule ... etc etc.

If I'd be going to shul I wouldn't care that much, but staying home w/ my boys all day was hard I'll admit.

Ronit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:21 pm
And there is one plus to this kind of schedule- If I miss tkias shofer in a neighborhood shul... I know I can always make it there.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:27 pm
sky wrote:

I got to daven for an hour in a local shul (took turns with SIL). they finished about 2:20 and started I think around 7:15.

Mama Bear wrote:
5 p.m.

Mama Bear - we were told we had to finish both our meals on shabbos by a certain time - if DH had come home at 5:00 we would have never finished by then. (as it was we didn't finish in time anyways). That also only left you like an hour to eat before mincha. Thats not such a long time for the sueda. How did you do it.
we were done with the seudah by 6. mincha was at 7!

shabri

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 2:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
sky wrote:

Mama Bear wrote:
5 p.m.

we were done with the seudah by 6. mincha was at 7!

When did you eat seudas shlishis? We also had to rush to get in 2 meals during the day before it got too late (on shabbos obviously)

hycup

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 9:44 am
be good wrote:
greenfire wrote:
hycup wrote:
I also wonder if your shuls provide a kiddush that is substantial? You're not suppose to fast on a YT...

ironically - one should not eat before tekiyos ... yet there is a 10 minute kiddush - totally not substantial with cake and soda - right before shofar ...

as for me - usually I bring something to eat such as a banana, yogurt and honey cake ... otherwise I would pass out ...

I am pretty sure the not-fasting-past-chatzos rule does not apply to rosh hashana.

I got a psak to eat a small amount (I think it was more than a kizayis, but less than four) because I am expecting, and get very weak if I dont eat for too long.

Scratching Head Where does it say in the Torah we're suppose to fast also on RH? Actually, the halacha also applies to RH... and your psak doesn't make any sense at all. Why wouldn't you be allowed to make kiddush and eat before chatzos on RH? If you hold that you're not suppose to make kiddush before mosaf, then that is exactly my point: all this long drawn out and 'emotional' davening is exactly le'heifech from what (IMH&HO) Hashem wants us to be doing. He wants us to have kavanna (I.e. mean what you say) not drraaaawwww oouuuuuuttttt evvvvverrrryyyy wooooord. And He doesn't want to be matzriach the tzibur. B"H I now live in E"Y and have many minyanim to attend, but where I use to live there was only one minyan that was chassidish and it was hell on earth to go and daven there... there is no reason why you should be starting shul at 7 am and finish at 5pm on R"H. None whats so ever!!! nekuda.

EvenI

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:55 pm
My husband's yeshiva started at 5.45 and finished around 12.30 on the first day and around 1 on the second day. They always have a break for mussaf and provide a kiddush, so I have never heard of not eating before tekios.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur