Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Davening šŸ™ˆ
Previous  1  2

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:22 am
Another thought is that I've found that if they have a rebbe (or teacher, for girls) who focuses on davening and its importance, they're more likely to want to daven. Some even have incentive programs, maybe only for a short period of time, just to jump-start the ones who are ready. If your son's rebbe doesn't have that, it might be worth discussing with him, asking if he could make it a focus for a period of time this year to try to encourage your son. I would think that most rabbeim would be open to the idea, especially if you give them positive feedback if it's working...

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:31 am
For us it's a natural part of the day's routine. But we are structured people and I know not everyone is.
Everyone gets dressed in the morning. Everyone has breakfast and shabbos cake. There is an order to the morning and everything happens without forcing or punishing. They play until cleanup time, then they daven and set the table for the seudah while I prepare the food and put the baby for a nap. Shortly after the older ones come home from shul.

behappy2

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:42 am
It depends on the kid. With my 7 year old I ask her to daven at least one thing. It could be raishis chochma. I want the habit of davening to be there. I don't pressure to daven a certain amount. She is generally ok with it because how long does it take to say one thing? Once she starts she usually davens quite a lot. I think it can feel overwhelming for kids. In school it's fun. At home it's more boring.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Itā€™s ironic because my mother always made me daven growing up and I hated it. But I just want to find out what I should be doing.

9 yo ds has a gorgeous singing voice. In school he davens beautifully. He hasnā€™t been wanting to daven at all on Shabbos and off days. He
Just wants to play with his younger siblings, canā€™t be bothered to stop to daven. I want to tell him thatā€™s fine, but then heā€™s choosing to forgo ā€œbig boyā€ privileges like staying up an hour past the younger ones and getting to use the tablet to play games.

Is that wrong? Should I be ignoring his lack of davening completely? Please help me out hereā€¦
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children