Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
A little annoyed with dh
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:16 am
Ariellush wrote:
My husband says that it is better to have guests frequently and share with them a simple but tasty meal, cooked with love, than to have guests rarely, because I am too tired to cook something fancy.

OP here. 8)
We usually have guests almost every meal. I agree. I just think a chassan and kallah coming for the first time since their wedding 2 weeks before deserve nicer than bachrim that come all the time. They got married overseas and just came home.
In the end, BH we had a very nice meal.
The only thing I didn't make was challah, we had store bought.
We had homemade chumus, tehina, corn salad, and Moroccan carrot salad and Moroccan fish.
Chicken soup with lokshen
bbq chicken, spiced roasted potatoes, sweet potato pie, carrot kugel and onion kugel.
For desset we had brownies and coffee cake.
It was very nice. In the end we had the newlyweds, anther couple and 2 bachrim. Smile

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:21 am
Sounds like a great, yummy meal! Would have loved to be there ;-)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 10:41 am
Ariellush wrote:
My husband says that it is better to have guests frequently and share with them a simple but tasty meal, cooked with love, than to have guests rarely, because I am too tired to cook something fancy.

He is speaking for the host. As a guest, I'd rather be treated royally !

louche

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 12:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

He is speaking for the host. As a guest, I'd rather be treated royally !

as a guest, I'd rather have a simple meal served by a hostess who is happy to have me, than a seven-course Cordon Bleu banquet by a hostess who resents the whole business.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 2:27 pm
louche wrote:
True confession time: I, Louche the Simplifier,* once essayed to make Tricolor Kugel for a simcha. It was....okay. That's it. OK. Looked nice, but for the same work I could have had three separate kugels to suit multiple tastes. For a lot less work I could have had one nice big kugel of one type and had enough energy left over to socialize with my guests.

* not to be confused with, and no relation to, Louche the Simple, a 15th-Century Mitteleuropean mystic who was believed by the local peasantry to be developmentally disabled as a result of her style of communication, consisting entirely of words of one syllable forming non-compound sentences.

this is so true. I'm always trying to outdo myself while preparing a sheva brochos, the decorations all matching, the fanciest food, 3 types of dessert etc., but then when the guests come, I hardly have any energy to say mazel tov, leave alone talk to the kallah. I am sure we host most boring sheva brochos in the whole wide world

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 2:34 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
most people aren't looking for a fancy shabbos dinner, they're looking for nice company.

Not me. If you're not going to make an effort; I'll stay home, thanks. I don't want to eat from paper plates or with disposable forks; I have beautiful China and matching glasses and flatware, plus central hearing and air.

Good to know. I always use disposable plates and cutlery. My food is great, but I know my limits and already have enough dirty pots and pans without having to add more to the mix. Yes, I have a dishwasher, but I'd rather not have multiple loads after shabbos.

For me, the presentation isn't important. I'd much rather have good food and don't care if it's served out of the metal pan you cooked it in.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 4:26 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
most people aren't looking for a fancy shabbos dinner, they're looking for nice company.

Not me. If you're not going to make an effort; I'll stay home, thanks. I don't want to eat from paper plates or with disposable forks; I have beautiful China and matching glasses and flatware, plus central hearing and air.

so I assume, you leave as soon as you see the set table with paper plates on it?

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 5:21 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Good to know. I always use disposable plates and cutlery. My food is great, but I know my limits and already have enough dirty pots and pans without having to add more to the mix. Yes, I have a dishwasher, but I'd rather not have multiple loads after shabbos.

For me, the presentation isn't important. I'd much rather have good food and don't care if it's served out of the metal pan you cooked it in.

I agree that presentation isn't as important as good company and pleasant conversation. I am happy to say yes when DH asks to bring home guests last minute because I know that he and they are not expecting anything fancy and are happy with whatever I have already prepared.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics