Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What would you spend a little extra on?
Previous  1  2

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 5:54 am
Good wine
Fresh cherries, kilos of them
Books for the kids, sefarim for DH
Pedicure (now finally it's getting summerlike), massage

I guess it also depends on what you define as "a little extra". $5, $10, $50...?

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Fri, Jun 25 2010, 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 6:00 am
okay...I'll take the cherries as well.
Lots of lots of cherries.
Cherries and books. AND ANOTHER FAN.

then I'm summer set!

cinnamon

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 6:05 am
good ice cream and chocolate

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 7:00 am
I try to get things that will last, even if it means spending more. So I spend more on pots and pans, shoes, essential appliances, toys... I don't bother spending more on food (since obviously that doesn't last, although I will get a couple small treats for dh and the kids), clothes (they'll stain before they get a chance to wear out), or appliances that aren't really necessary (dryer, blender, etc).

My FIL likes to say "poor people can't afford to buy cheap," and I agree (although they can't afford expensive either, so it's usually a catch-22). BH since dh finished school we're solidly lower-middle-class, but we still can't afford to go around replacing things every year, so we try to be in a position to pay more when the time comes and avoid paying more in the long run.

We do spend a lot on education, but hopefully that's an investment, not a splurge.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 9:05 am
ora_43 wrote:
I try to get things that will last, even if it means spending more. So I spend more on pots and pans, shoes, essential appliances, toys... I don't bother spending more on food (since obviously that doesn't last, although I will get a couple small treats for dh and the kids), clothes (they'll stain before they get a chance to wear out), or appliances that aren't really necessary (dryer, blender, etc).

My FIL likes to say "poor people can't afford to buy cheap," and I agree (although they can't afford expensive either, so it's usually a catch-22). BH since dh finished school we're solidly lower-middle-class, but we still can't afford to go around replacing things every year, so we try to be in a position to pay more when the time comes and avoid paying more in the long run.

We do spend a lot on education, but hopefully that's an investment, not a splurge.

That's my attitude too. I spend on important things meant to last. Some are investments. I don't spend on stuff just to impress or temporary things (kids' shoes, kids' clothes, food - I'm not a big spender there).
Education - that's an investment. House - investment. Cars - we buy very cheap and old, their value just plummets every year anyway.
Furniture -- usually second hand, but best quality I can afford.

louche

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 1:20 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "spending a little extra". A little more than the cheapest I can find anywhere? A little more than I planned? A little more than I can afford? Or do you mean buying something that I don't actually need just because I happen to have the money on me?

Dobat

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 1:26 pm
I'm obsessive about yummy, fluffy, thick, luscious towels....ummmm!!!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 1:38 pm
louche wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "spending a little extra". A little more than the cheapest I can find anywhere? A little more than I planned? A little more than I can afford? Or do you mean buying something that I don't actually need just because I happen to have the money on me?

I mean you're buying a certain product anyway, but spend a little more to get the "better" one. That's why I didn't write splurge, but like always, understand it however you like.

shanie5

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 2:22 pm
A good repairman!

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 2:54 pm
Someone once told me some wise words: "Buy as a rich person and live as a poor".

Meaning, buy things that are (maybe) more expensive but in the end they are better and last longer...

Like buying appliances from good reliable brands....

Or even clothes..... If you buy a top in a cheapo store (I used to do it all the time because I thought it was cheap but if you compare prices - basics in stores that sell quality can cost the same or even less than a cheapo store) it lasts shorter and looks less nice than a top from a designer or quality store... Not only does it last shorter, it also looks less nice..

But if I had extra, I would splurge on bodycare & beautyproducts @ Victorias Secret!

estibesty

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 3:22 pm
cleaning help

Depressed

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 4:36 pm
shanie5 wrote:
A good repairman!

What do you need the repairman for shani Surprised Surprised

imaamy

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 8:29 pm
Red cherries are $1.47 a pound here and quite good:) Too bad it is a short season. The yellow ones, Ranier, are about $6 a lb but my husband really likes those.

shevi82

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 2:53 pm
Quote:
Someone once told me some wise words: "Buy as a rich person and live as a poor".

This is so true. I like that.

shanie5

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:31 am
Depressed wrote:
shanie5 wrote:
A good repairman!

What do you need the repairman for shani Surprised Surprised

My car was just in the shop.

And for repairs in general-you might as well do it right the first time.

I had a friend who was a plumber, on the side of her truck was her motto "I repair what your husband 'fixed'" LOL

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 5:17 pm
A good bra. Anything related to health and education. Like a better dentist or a better university.

I don't really consider these things splurges though. As my great grandmother a"h used to say: "we're too poor to buy cheap." If something is healthier or better quality, like good sneakers, winter coats that last for years and years, and kitchen appliances and electronics that last until your grown up kids and grandkids make your replace them, are an investment.

My real splurge? Getting a high quality professional haircut even though I cover my hair.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics