Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How much advance notice do you need?

How much advance notice do you need for visitors
None - My house is always clean, I dont mind surprise visitors  
 8%  [ 4 ]
None - My house may be a mess, it is what it is I dont care.  
 17%  [ 8 ]
15 - 20 Minutes  
 43%  [ 20 ]
30 Minutes - 1 Hour  
 19%  [ 9 ]
1 Hour or More  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Depending on what time of the day it is - Explain  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

mc'cutie

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:32 pm
I am just curious as to how much advance notice most people need for visitors...

I hate when people walk in on me as a surprise visit!

zigi

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:36 pm
it depends on the time of the day sometimes the house is totally clean. other times the kids are at home and its a big mess. my neighbors drop by usually when the kids are home and everything is everywhere.

Simple1

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:03 pm
I voted 30-min. - 1 hr. But I would only straighten the rooms they will likely enter- living room, dining room, kitchen and bathroom. I've been caught off guard more than once when someone would help herself to my kids messy bedroom to nurse her baby. I also have one small side room (like a study) that is messy because I store things there. I try to keep the door closed but occasionally a relative would wander in there and I'd feel stupid.
A lot of the people I know seem to need no notice at all - their houses are always so clean. I don't know how they do it.

Also, now with cell phones it's so frustrating. Someone would drop by, but feel they should call me first to be polite - I say fine, and they would say well I'm in your drive way!

SingALong

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:09 pm
so my front entrance, living room and dining room is always clean and presentable, (exept Motzei shabbos when I haven't had a chance to clean up yet.)
my kitchen is usually clean unless I'm in the midst of cooking. so usually if someone comes in and surprises me its ok, even if I'm in the middle of cooking well that's life.

the study off the front entrance, well, lets just say I keep that door locked. it's practically a garbage dump I never let anyone in there.
playroom off kitchen depends, it could be a wreck or just a couple of toys out. if someone visits and its a wreck I just close the door. if its just a few things I don't care if they see that.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:13 pm
As long as you don't pop in during suppertime(between 5-6) then we are always ready for your visit.

chatz

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:16 pm
Depends WHO the guests are.

Parents, siblings - always welcome. If it's messy, feel free to clean up and fold my laundry Very Happy.

Anyone else - if it's a guy who I hope won't see any mess, 5-10 minutes to straighten up my front room. If it's a woman (we notice things!), probably a bit longer. I know I'm stereotyping, can't help it.

small apartment = small mess
big house = big mess

But aside from that, I need time to get mentally ready for visitors. I'm not a very spontaneous type of person.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 4:03 am
People who are going to comment: until I can have the cleaning lady. Can be days, sorry.
People who don't care: a few hours? though one day notice is the polite thing unless you've been told to drop by any time...

mae1984

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:04 am
15 minutes. Gives me time to wash up dishes in the sink an dmake sure there are no diapers in the bathroom!!

fiddle

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:25 am
depends who. immediate family - no notice

grandparents, friends, 10-15 minutes

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:39 am
To actually clean my house, I'd probably need a couple of days. As it is though, guests don't usually see the whole house (though someone once asked me if she could feed her baby in my room - it was a disaster! embarrassed ) If they're going to see my kitchen - I'm in trouble, need at least an hour. If not, I can do it in 10 min. (By throwing everything into a box or garbage bag to sort through later, and quickly sweeping the floor.)

Liba

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 6:41 am
I have friends and family who I am so comfortable with that I don't need notice. I have ungarish family that I need a weeks notice for. Most people 1/2-1hour is fine if I am feeling well enough to do what needs to be done. If not then I either let them come and see the mess and stress or don't. Smile

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 6:44 am
I voted 15-20 minutes notice. But those minutes are not to clean up the house. My house is generally pretty clean aside from the playroom. Those minutes are to get myself presentable.

Hashemlovesme

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 7:09 am
I say the closer the friend is to me, the less I need to clean up for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics