Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with fresh herbs?

carrot

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 9:07 am
I have big bunches of basil, parsley, and dill left over from various Shabbos recipes. Any ideas?

willow

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 9:19 am
I use fresh herbs in almost all my cooking. I would put it in a blender/grinder with anything else you want to get rid of ( any veggies) fresh garlic, little olive oil, an onion salt and pepper and add it to anything you are making for dinner tonight. It goes well as a plain dip or on pasta, meat, fish....

tzipp

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 9:45 am
Grind it up, and put it in the freezer- you can use it in future recipes without all of the work.
You may want to split it up into small portions before freezing using little bags or cups etc. so it will be easier to use the amount you need without having to try to break off a piece of frozen herbs.

carrot

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 2:12 pm
Willow can you give me a more specific example because of what you would do? Sounds interesting but I don't quite get it.

And Tzipp do you mean I can just rinse them, grind them, stick them in the freezer - just plain ground up herbs? That simple?

granolamom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 2:18 pm
I'd make pesto with the basil and parsley.
just add some olive oil, salt, garlic and I also add some walnuts. process in food processor. we like it on toasted pita. dh likes his with parmesan cheese, but you need a milchig food processor for that.

willow

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 2:27 pm
granolamoms idea sounds good. Really you can do anything with it for a more concrete idea take your herbs blend it with carrot, onion, fresg garlic, olive oil a little memon juice and your fav. spices. Heat in skilllet and spread on fresh pita.
Or just put mixture on top of your fish and grill. Do you want more ideas? Really you can put it on and in anything.
tzipp - Great idea sounds that way you always have ready to go herbs

micki

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 9:33 pm
just freeze it. clean it, store it and freeze it in large or small ammounts.
I have about 1lb of dill right now in a zip lock bag that I picked, cleaned trimmed and froze. it will last for many many months frozen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics