Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Eating out in Williamsberg
Previous  1  2

newlymarried

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 12:41 pm
It wasn't bad staring at all, and I didn't really mind it either. It just made me think, and I was wondering if it's done there, of if Ii was being innapropriate.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:56 am
They stare in general at anyone they don't know, but yes the rules there are very strict with regard to women. I was told that wives have to sit in the back seat of the car, not up front with their husbands.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:14 am
Merrymom wrote:
They stare in general at anyone they don't know, but yes the rules there are very strict with regard to women. I was told that wives have to sit in the back seat of the car, not up front with their husbands.

What a load of cr*p. Don't believe everything you're "told." Aren't you smarter than that? Or does everyone just love to believe the worst in that community because they do things so "differently," and therefore are worthy of everyone's ridicule.

married21

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 11:59 am
Merrymom wrote:

I have to laugh LOL!!!

Do you really believe everything that you "hear"?

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 12:04 pm
married21 wrote:
Merrymom wrote:

I have to laugh LOL!!!

Do you really believe everything that you "hear"?

Do you live there? I was told this by someone who lived there so either things changed or he was kidding around?

married21

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 12:14 pm
I don’t, but know lots of people that do.

Um, they all ride in the front of the car near their husbands (besides if they have a baby, and sit in the back to be near the baby; like I do).

And you’d be surprised, lots of them walk on the streets with their spouses. I’ve seen that personally lots of times.

Actually, the only chassidis I know that doesn’t sit in the front of the car and walk together with their spouses on the street is Ger. Well, there are no Ger Chassidim in Williamsburg.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 12:56 pm
We were there once Chol Hamoed Succos. There was a restaurant open at 3am, and it was like 3pm in there, but only men. I came in and ate with my husband and we felt like blacks at a KKK meeting...

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 2:43 pm
married21 wrote:
Actually, the only chassidis I know that doesn’t sit in the front of the car and walk together with their spouses on the street is Ger. Well, there are no Ger Chassidim in Williamsburg.

Merrymom, you chose to ignore my post because you know I lived there for 25 years, and therefore are afraid that I can prove you wrong. Instead, you chose to challenge someone who doesn't live there.

And the post I quoted is right.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 3:13 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Anything slightly more colorful than our daily lives here, gets attention.

Maybe that explains my experiences. I don't mind being a bit of a traveling tourist attraction. Even if I don't stand out too much in appearance, people realize the minute I open my mouth that not only am I not from WB, I'm not from Brooklyn. So I just go with the flow, telling people where I'm from and generally trying to ingratiate myself with my Midwestern corn-fed charm.

However, I do not eat out in WB with DH. I usually only get to Cafe au Lee, and he would be a serious impediment to the concentration needed to fully enjoy the french fries there!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 4:06 pm
married21 wrote:
Well, there are no Ger Chassidim in Williamsburg.

Newsflash: There are Gerrers in Williamsburg, you might not know everyone that lives there.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 9:39 pm
Maya wrote:
married21 wrote:

Merrymom, you chose to ignore my post because you know I lived there for 25 years, and therefore are afraid that I can prove you wrong. Instead, you chose to challenge someone who doesn't live there.

And the post I quoted is right.

Why are you quoting Married21 if your comment is for me? I know that you lived in Williamsburg for 25 years? Do I know you? I'm just relating what someone told me, I don't live in Williamsburg so how should I know. Like I said maybe the guy was kidding with me.

married21

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:

Newsflash: There are Gerrers in Williamsburg, you might not know everyone that lives there.

Interesting, I never knew that. Is there a Ger Shteibel in Williamsburg?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:51 am
married21 wrote:
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:

I don't know if they have their own minyan, but I definitely know a couple of gerrers, my friend's father wears a spudik IN WILLIAMSBURG!

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:

I don't know if they have their own minyan, but I definitely know a couple of gerrers, my friend's father wears a spudik IN WILLIAMSBURG!

Yes, but they don't make up the majority. So saying that no woman in Williamsburg sits in the front seat of a car is false, even if there are a few Gerrer women who do practice that.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 10:10 am
Maya wrote:
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:
amother wrote:
married21 wrote:

Yes, but they don't make up the majority. So saying that no woman in Williamsburg sits in the front seat of a car is false, even if there are a few Gerrer women who do practice that.

Well, to set the record straight, I was just correcting married21. Actually, there are some very frum couples in williamsburg that don't sit in the front seat, but right, it is definitely not the mainstream. The ones not sitting in the front are the exceptions, not the norm.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette