Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Covering hair - hair cuts
Previous  1  2

Where do you get your hair cut?
In a salon, by whoever is available  
 12%  [ 24 ]
In a salon, by a woman only  
 7%  [ 14 ]
I go to someone's house and she cuts it  
 17%  [ 33 ]
I do it myself  
 58%  [ 111 ]
I do not cut my hair at all  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 190

SorGold

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 7:01 pm
Dh cuts it. It just so happens that he used to charge to cut boys hair in yeshiva and he still cuts for friends...but girls hair is totally different. He is WAY better at boys hair, but hes the only one who sees it so who cares.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 7:07 pm
The first time I cut my hair after I was married, I let dh cut it. It was our first HUGE post marriage blow out. I told him to cut BELOW the ponytail holder, he cut above. It was BAD. I can laugh now, but not then LOL

Now, I voted for the salon (women only), because where I live, they either have a curtained area, or you go downstairs where it's women only (depending on where you go). Of course, this past cut was horrendous and it still hasn't grown out 6 months later. I still can't wear a tichel.

The best I ever got, post marriage was in the basement of a sheital macher. All the single girls in the community go there so I thought it would be safe Smile

FASMA

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:17 am
shoshina wrote:
Different option-- my hairstylist comes to my home

I second this

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 6:54 am
Here in Israel I go to someone's home and she cuts.
When I have visited my parents a few times and happen to need a hair cut, I have gone to the same guy that my mother uses.
So, I would say both, in someone's home and at a salon by a man.

makdragon

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:03 pm
I get mine cut at a sheital macher's salon, she cleans sheitals and cuts womens' hair. I haven't had my hair cut in ages though, the last time I did, it got cut a little too short and my dh was horrified. He wants my hair to be long....so I only get it cut if I'm starting to get split-ends.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:13 pm
I would never think of equating a guy who can cut male hair (it's really very easy; even I do it!) with one who can cut female hair.

(As such, my 2.5 year old daughter still hasn't gotten a haircut. I'm too chicken.)

Amital

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:26 pm
I happen to have a sister who has almost always cut my hair (and all my sibs', even my parents'!) I can do a decent cut on her, too, and then it's free and easy.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:59 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I would never think of equating a guy who can cut male hair (it's really very easy; even I do it!) with one who can cut female hair.

(As such, my 2.5 year old daughter still hasn't gotten a haircut. I'm too chicken.)
If you are talking about my post, that I go to a guy sometimes, he is not a barbershop barber, he owns his own hair salon, for both women and men. totally different.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:06 pm
No -- I'm talking about the people who rely on their husbands to cut their hair nicely because they can cut yeshiva guy's hair Smile
A professional is a totally different ballgame.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:07 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No -- I'm talking about the people who rely on their husbands to cut their hair nicely because they can cut yeshiva guy's hair Smile
A professional is a totally different ballgame.
oh Smile
and I totally agree with you.

dora

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 2:12 pm
I go to a sheitlemacher's house, $15.00.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 7:42 pm
I do it myself. Its really long. My husband loves long hair so he gets upset every time I cut it so I only do it once a year or every other year. I put it in a ponytail and chop it right underneath the pony holder. its never even but I wear it down only maybe 3 times a year??

#1baker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 12:28 am
I go to the same place that did my hair as a girl she puts a mechitza around me so noone can see 8)

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 2:43 am
I either have someone come to my house or one of the local places has the 'dati room' in the back which is private and has no window.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 11:07 am
I shave. Myself.

Rodent

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 9:52 pm
My husband does it maybe once or twice a year at most. Just cuts across the bottom. Just wait until not a nidda, I don't see the issue there really.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 10:11 pm
When I first married, I continued to use the same hairdresser I used since I was a child. I would make an appointment, and she would take me to the back room where they did nails and pedicures, or something. The point is, it was a private room in the back, where nobody else would see. I would wash my hair at home, then go get my hair cut in the back room.

Since we moved, I have only gotten my hair cut once. I go to a neighbour's house, and she cuts it for me.

shanie5

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 11:52 pm
another option - dc cuts it.

I do the chop below the pony tail holder method. Sometimes I do it, st dh s/t dc.

Aribenj

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:08 pm
imabima wrote:
I grow my hair to have 12 inches to cut then put it in a low pony and snip right under the ponyholder. Ponytail gets shipped to Chai Lifeline, my hair is in the perfect shaitel-ready position!

I do this too!
Except I don't cut my own hair... I'm too chicken for that. I go to a salon and ask for a woman. I figure, I only cut my hair every 2 years, so at least it's only once every 2 years. Also, it's their job. I don't know. It's not something I feel uncomfortable with...

MamaChips

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:13 pm
My hairdresser has enough frum clients that she has a separate room with a door to close for those who want it. Before she had that, she hung a curtain around one chair area.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions