Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Flanken

mommy24

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 7:21 am
Does anyone have any good recipes for flanken?
thanks Very Happy

elkayed

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 7:23 am
I put it in a pan with cherrioki sauce from I forget which company and let it bake till soft. You can do the same with ribs. It was delicious.

cindy324

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 10:00 am
Yes I do! it's a big hit in my house.

Use the flanken with the bones, it's worth it trust me!

This recipe is enough for about 8-10 pieces

Sweet and Sour Flanken

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2-3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp mustard
2tbsp. apricot jam
2tbsp. lemon juice
7 cloves of minced garlic

Mix all ingredients, pour over flanken. Bake in 400 degree oven COVERED for 3 hours. Keep it covered the entire time and check 2 hours into baking to make sure it's not burning, in case ur oven is not calibrated right! (Happened to my friend)

mumsy23

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 10:33 am
Cindy, I just made your spicey fish and first of all, my hands are burning from the peppers!

Second of all - the sauce spritzed out all over and now my oven and floor are glazed in red fish sauce!!!!

third of all - I only cooked it for 40 minutes instead of an hour, it looks ready but I couldn't stand to let it keep spritzing. Do yout hink it will be okay?

Lastly - ITS YUM!!!! I can't wait to serve it tonight!

cindy324

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 7:23 pm
Quote:
Cindy, I just made your spicey fish and first of all, my hands are burning from the peppers!

Second of all - the sauce spritzed out all over and now my oven and floor are glazed in red fish sauce!!!!

third of all - I only cooked it for 40 minutes instead of an hour, it looks ready but I couldn't stand to let it keep spritzing. Do yout hink it will be okay?

Lastly - ITS YUM!!!! I can't wait to serve it tonight!

I hope it was as big a hit by you than by me!

what do you mean , how did it spritz all over? Did I mention you could cover the pot embarrassed ?

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 7:57 pm
I don't have exact measurements but basically

mainly ketchup (1/2 bowl), bbq sauce (1/5 amt of ketchup about), a quarter sized amt of mustard. also onions and garlic fried or minced garlic. mix together, throw over the meat and bake 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs depending on oven and how well done you like it.
you also might have to fool around with measurements but it should be a strong ketchup flavor with some bbq suace and once its baked you won't taste the mustard seperate.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 15 2006, 6:39 am
maybre I should make that for yomtov instead of stuffed cabbage or brisket, that sounds good.

I think it's a little much for a weekday night meal, though.

cindy324

Post Tue, Aug 15 2006, 6:50 am
Quote:
maybre I should make that for yomtov instead of stuffed cabbage or brisket, that sounds good.

I think it's a little much for a weekday night meal, though.

I only make it for Yom Tov, or occasionally for shabbos, since it is VERY pricey. A pack of two pieces is about $12-$13. It's DELICIOUS! Just be careful to keep an eye on it, so it doesn't burn, and KEEP IT COVERED! You don't want to ruin $60 of meat!

I've actually made it for during the week once or twice, but used the boneless flanken, which is a bit cheaper, but not as soft, and also I only had to buy enough for my family.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 15 2006, 7:11 am
really, cindy, boneless is cheaper?

I am thinking it wouldn't be too expensive in a stir fry or perhaps for rosh chodesh.

for yomtov, there is so much other food, you prob. don't neeed to serve each portion so big.....

mommy24

Post Tue, Aug 15 2006, 7:43 am
THanks everyone for all your recipes- they sound good and I hope to try some soon.

do you guys think that I can cook it on the stove top instead of baking?

cindy324

Post Tue, Aug 15 2006, 7:57 am
Yep, boneless is cheaper, it's not as fatty, therefor it comes out not as soft.

I once asked the butcher the difference and he said, the flanken without the bones is like a Ford Taurus, and the flanken with the bones is like a Caddy LOL

It also barely shrinks, if at all, so what you see before cooking, is what you get after.

Yes , on Yom Tov I count on one piece per person and throw in one or two extra just in case someone wants seconds.

Never tried using flanken in a stirfry, but I would think it's quite difficult to cut it into such thin strips, unless you have a really good knife.

mommy24

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:13 am
Cindy, I wanted to thank you for the delicious recipe, I made it for Shabbos on the stovetop. It came out great. Even my son who refuses to taste any meat thought it smelled and tasted delicous. THank you!

cindy324

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:05 pm
glad to hear that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus