Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Drop side cribs

amother

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 10:41 am
I understand that drop side cribs have been banned for safety reasons and they are no longer being sold.

Does anyone know whether the safety threats pose a risk to all children/babies or only to young infants? We have cribs at both sets of grandparents houses for my toddler (1.5 years) old, and we're planning a visit.

Is it imperative that we purchase new cribs/pack 'n' plays for these trips, or is my big boy past the age of risk? Thanks.

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 11:16 am
I wouldnt worry I use my drop side crib and bh were fine if ch"v hashem wants something to happen it can happen in a pack n play too.
of corse if u must get a new crib I wud get the onse they sell now but to go out and buy when u have a drop side in good condition I personally wouldnt think it nessary.

Enjoy your visits in good health! Smile

amother

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 11:25 am
I agree, we use a drop side crib and as long as it is in working condition/ not broken, I wouldnt worry at all.

IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) drop side cribs were the cause of 13 infant deaths over a decade and all of the cribs involved were broken. If we ban everything that causes that numder of deaths I suggest we ban swimming pools as well, and knives, and cars.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 11:57 am
I wouldn't worry or get a new crib. Just make sure they are not broken.

morah

Post Thu, Aug 25 2011, 12:24 pm
From what I understand, the issue is with older babies, not barely-mobile infants. It shouldn't be a problem, because as someone above pointed out, the hazard was way over-sensationalized, but if you're still worried, you can actually modify a drop-side by pulling up the side and screwing it permanently into that position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics