Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic Design

wereafamily

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 12:02 am
As a graphic designer I hate working by the hour... I want to be free from designing without the pressure of the client not wanting to pay above his budget... I don't just design, I research, get inspired...

Till now I charged by the hour but I want to start charging by project.

How does that work...what are the going prices in New York?

TIA

crl

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 10:36 am
I don't think there is a "going price" in NY or anywhere for graphic design -- it's based on project, skill level, time necessary, etc. In my experience, a flat rate has rarely been worth it, unless you do a lot of similar things that you can turn out fairly quickly. For example, if you primarily do identity/logo/brand work, you can charge let's say $200 for logo, $300 for logo and business card and $500 for logo, card, stationary and envelope. However, sometimes a client will drive you crazy and if you work more than the average amount of hours anymore, it doesn't become worth it and with flat rates, clients expect you to work however many hours necessary and will drive you crazier than if you're charging them for the time.

What I do is I charge by the hour, but I estimate (on the higher end of the spectrum) how long a job will be and quote that to the client. if my average turnaround for a flyer is 6 hours including research and first draft design, I tack on another 4-6 hours and quote the client for 12 hours, even if it wouldn't take me that long usually. But it gives me some buffer room in case I want/need more time to research so there is less pressure and protects me from a client who wants a million revisions who wont pay for them because they know the ballpark number of what I'm charging, and they're happy when it's a bit less than what I quoted.

You can probably do a combo price -- charge however much to start for a project (and calculate that based on your hourly rate/hours you estimate it will take for each type of job plus however many revisions you are comfortable including) and then charge however much for each additional revision so that you don't get screwed out of your time. I just think that hourly is the fairest as long as the client is aware of a good estimate of how long it will take you, and you keep the client updated as to how your progress is doing so they know you're looking out for them as opposed to just twiddling your thumbs as you collect their money.

wereafamily

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 7:48 pm
crl wrote:
I don't think there is a "going price" in NY or anywhere for graphic design -- it's based on project, skill level, time necessary, etc. In my experience, a flat rate has rarely been worth it, unless you do a lot of similar things that you can turn out fairly quickly. For example, if you primarily do identity/logo/brand work, you can charge let's say $200 for logo, $300 for logo and business card and $500 for logo, card, stationary and envelope. However, sometimes a client will drive you crazy and if you work more than the average amount of hours anymore, it doesn't become worth it and with flat rates, clients expect you to work however many hours necessary and will drive you crazier than if you're charging them for the time.

What I do is I charge by the hour, but I estimate (on the higher end of the spectrum) how long a job will be and quote that to the client. if my average turnaround for a flyer is 6 hours including research and first draft design, I tack on another 4-6 hours and quote the client for 12 hours, even if it wouldn't take me that long usually. But it gives me some buffer room in case I want/need more time to research so there is less pressure and protects me from a client who wants a million revisions who wont pay for them because they know the ballpark number of what I'm charging, and they're happy when it's a bit less than what I quoted.

You can probably do a combo price -- charge however much to start for a project (and calculate that based on your hourly rate/hours you estimate it will take for each type of job plus however many revisions you are comfortable including) and then charge however much for each additional revision so that you don't get screwed out of your time. I just think that hourly is the fairest as long as the client is aware of a good estimate of how long it will take you, and you keep the client updated as to how your progress is doing so they know you're looking out for them as opposed to just twiddling your thumbs as you collect their money.

Thank you so much!

Yes, but for example a logo, the designing is the easy part, the research, thinking and sketching is the hard part. So from when do you start timing yourself?

If I do a advertisement for example, I am so pressured to finish it on time, to meet the estimated time - clients are not happy when you go over. Adding a few extra hours is a great idea!

I

crl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 10:55 pm
The way I "cheshbon" is I allow a few back and forth emails and a phone call before officially "starting". Once I get an idea of what the project is, I come up with a quote based on how long it takes me. For example, if it's a logo job and I want or think I'll need more time to brainstorm, I start the clock when the client and I agree on a time and price range. I also try to get the clients budget for the project beforehand so I can bear that in mind -- if they can only afford 500 dollars, but I charge 50 dollars an hour, I try to ensure that I don't go over 10 hours, even if it's not as good of a job. If I hit a block in the middle, I contact the client and stop my work, but that generally happens more with web design or bigger design jobs than just logo or single flyer designs, so I rarely run into a problem. Your time -- whether its spent researching, designing, or prepping -- is valuable. They are not only hiring you to do actual work, they are hiring your creative services which requires research and time.

Also, make sure you have written agreement of price, preferably a contract but dated emails are good enough in case you get a jerky client because a lot of times clients will try and mess you over, hourly or not. I just find that pricing by the job has a lot more risks.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 10:16 am
I know someone who does this.
She averaged out the amount of time it takes her to do one project (eg: booklet) and then said to the client I will charge you $xx for booklet which includes xx hours for every additional hour I will charge $xx.
(But she still had to keep average track of her hours).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics