Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SodaStream versus Cornell Seltzer? Financially wise?

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:57 am
SHHHHH, I am thinking about buying my husband a Sodastream for my husband as his chanuka gift.

I'm curious what other folks have to say about the Sodastream versus buying seltzer, Cornell brand Selzter in particular.

My husband LOVES Cornell. He says it is the "Fizziest" of all the seltzers. I don't want to buy Sodastream if it's not going to be comparable to Cornell. I like Sodastream because you can control how much carbonation you put in.

We go through a case of seltzer (12 bottles) per month, they cost on average 80 cents a bottle, so let's say about 150 bottles a year (we use more over yom tov). That's $120/year on seltzer, plus all those bottles I'm using (and recycling every year).

I could buy the basic Sodastream package for $150.00. It comes with 3 reusable bottles and 3 CO2 cartridges. each Cartridge makes supposedly 60 liters. I'm guessing because my husband likes it very bubbly it will really make 30 liters per cartridge. (I'd prefer to err conservatively here). That means those 3 CO2 cartridges will make either 180 or 90 liters .

$150/180 liters = 0.83 per liter
$150/90 liters = 1.67 per liter

After that, I'm just paying for the cost of the CO2 cartridges which are around $30 for 2 cartridges (you have to exchange empty cartridges).

$30/2 = $15 per cartridge
$15/60 = 0.25 per liter!!!
$15/30 = 0.50 per liter

So the first year, I'll probably be paying the same cost as Cornell. But after that I'll be paying much less per liter.

Of course, I haven't factored in the cost of the assorted flavoring options they sell, but even at 0.25 per liter plus the flavor options, it's still cheaper.

So my question for you is - have you found it cheaper? Are you happy with it? What are the drawbacks? Do you find it comparable to Cornell?

TIA!

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:28 pm
Bump

shoeboxgirly

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 3:22 pm
I haven't seen a cornell in the UK but I have a soda stream and it the most used gift from our wedding list. I drink all my water fizzy, because I hate the taste of tap water where I live (I was brought up on very different tasting tap water).

Also shops here have an exchange program with the CO2 where new bottles are a fraction of the price if you bring back the empties. I'm a big fan, but I don't know the comparison.

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 3:51 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
I haven't seen a cornell in the UK but I have a soda stream and it the most used gift from our wedding list. I drink all my water fizzy, because I hate the taste of tap water where I live (I was brought up on very different tasting tap water).

Also shops here have an exchange program with the CO2 where new bottles are a fraction of the price if you bring back the empties. I'm a big fan, but I don't know the comparison.

Cornell is a brand of sletzer in ny that is very bubbly.

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 5:57 am
Bump

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 6:07 am
We have a soda water machine at home.
I dont know that brand as I live in Israel, but I think that it is completely worth it. My husband goes through soda water like tissues and so instead of having to buy soda water all of the time, we only have to fill the gas canister when it finishes. I think that it is totally worth it.
And as for flavoring it, you dont have to buy the expensive flavors. My husband uses a little bit of mango juice, or other juices to get flavored soda water.

Koshermomma

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 9:23 am
As far as finances go, according to your calculation of 30 liters per cartridge, costing you 50 cents a liter, you are saving 30 cents a liter over Cornell. You estimate 150 liters per year, so that means you would be saving $45 PER YEAR, less than a dollar a week. So financially, it really doesn't make any difference.

The whole point of soda stream is the flavors - flavored soda is usually more expensive than just carbonated water, and the fact that you do not have to shlep bottles all the time. I have one, and LOVE it - I can make the water as carbonated as I want, so even when it gets watered down with ice, it's still bubbly! - and I can flavor the water just a touch - more like a flavored seltzer than a soda. I highly recommend it to anybody, however, it does take up counter space, and you have to find a reliable store that always has refills. My suggestion is that if you do decide to buy it, immediately put one of the bottles away for Pesach - then you can really have it all year round!

cytlgr

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 9:49 am
I bought one a few months ago and am very happy. We would go thru a case of 12 bottles approx every week and a 1/2- basically a bottle a day and my husband wasn't enjoying all the shlepping he was doing of cases of seltzer. (No Cornell around here to deliver--do they still deliver??) Also he only buys the heimish brands because he says they have more gas than Vintage and other non Jewish brands. So that made it more expensive too.

I regret buying the model I did (possible jet? costs approx $80) since it only comes with one bottle. I read online somewhere that you can make seltzer on Shabbos but my husband didn't ask his LOR so we don't and that's when we go thru the most seltzer.

My husband did the math and I don't know if it was that much cheaper but he liked that he doesn't have to shlep seltzer bottles anymore (like I said if Cornell delivers you're not doing the shlepping).

If you'd like more info please ask...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 10:26 am
I don't think you save much money, but it's fun.

I return the used cartridge to Bed Bath and Beyond, so the new one is only $15, and I always have 20% off coupons to use with that.

We all enjoy it, and we were told we can use it on Shabbos. (We can't start a new cartridge on Shabbos.) The only negative is that it takes up some counter space.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:03 pm
You have to wash and store the bottles that you'll make and serve it in too. I wouldn't bother. I don't need another thing to do.

And who says your dh will always want seltzer or soda? Fizzy drinks leaches phosphorous out of the bones. It might get medically counterindicated for you all at some point.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 3:37 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Fizzy drinks leaches phosphorous out of the bones.

Just so that you are aware, this isn't true. It's the phosphoric acid in Coca Cola that does that (it leeches calcium, not phosphors). Regular seltzer has no harmful effects at all. You are probably confusing the two things.

cm

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:12 am
I priced it out, and found that once you have to replace the cartidge there is no cost savings. It takes up room, and is more of a novelty than anything else. But people who have it love it, so go with your gut feeling.

This business about seltzer being bad for you is a current rumor going around. AFAIK it isn't true.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Just so that you are aware, this isn't true. It's the phosphoric acid in Coca Cola that does that (it leeches calcium, not phosphors). Regular seltzer has no harmful effects at all. You are probably confusing the two things.

I don't know who you are amother but I know who I am wand what drs say. You are incorrect.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 7:32 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I don't know who you are amother but I know who I am wand what drs say. You are incorrect.

Another amother here - registered dietitian working closely with phosphorus and calcium - seltzer is not harmful to the bones of any normal person. It is made out of plain water. It does not leach phosphorus from the bones. Cola (and some other sodas) contain phosphous which in excess may deplete calcium from the bones. You may wish to double-check with your "drs" about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics