Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I feel stupid but... What is a Smartphone?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 12:05 pm
Can someone please define for me what a smartphone is. I am looking to upgrade my cell and I'm trying to figure out what I want.
I do not use my phone for internet access. What does a smartphone do? Is it only for internet or could it make sense even if you don't use it to connect? Do I need a data plan?

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 12:17 pm
a smartphone is an iphone or android, blackberry or windows phone (other companies make them too) that you can use for internet, email, phonecalls, listening to music, watching movie clips, reading books or documents, playing games and a million other uses. The phones typically come with some preloaded "apps" (facebook, email, alarm clock, camera etc) and then you can download more apps from the app store. Some apps are free, some cost money.

In theory you do not need a data plan since many smartphones have wifi so if you have wifi in your house you can use the stuff the needs wifi at home. In practice most people get the phone fromt he phone company by signing up for a 2 year data contract. But when my dh upgraded his iphone I took his old iphone and used it on my pay as you go plan.

There are so many great features you can enjoy on a smartphone even without using it for internet - gps, daily planners, shopping lists, radio player. (some of these need to be connected to the internet to work)

mamaleh

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 12:21 pm
Thanks, Raisin. Now I get it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics