Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Why did my Bosch overheat?!

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 12:10 am
My mom borrowed my 2 yr old Bosch to bake a small batch of challah dough.sheused the metal bowl,which got very hot during kneading. The next day when I tried to use it, it shut off, astho it was overheated. Y should that happen? Isn't it meant for dough? Esp sincesheonly used 3 lb of flour?
BH it wound up starting again, but it doesn't seem to be working the same way....
Any ideas? Anyone else have this?

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 12:51 am
First, check your owner's manual troubleshooting section. You may have a short circuit in the wiring, or a bit of dough or something may have gotten into the housing and be interfering with the movement of some parts. Or, seeing as how the bowl got hot, the beater or the bowl may not be seated right and the beater may be scraping the bowl too closely. Remove, inspect and reseat all removable parts, and if that doesn't solve the problem or you notice wear or distortion of the beater or any place where moving parts fit together, take the machine to be serviced, pronto.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:14 am
thanks for ur advice! its working ok now, but the machine always did make a funny whining noise while using the dough hook and metal bowl. is it normal for the noise and getting so hot? it was only 3 lb of flour.....?
also, where does one get it serviced? I dont have my manual any more

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:16 am
thanks for ur advice! its working ok now, but the machine always did make a funny whining noise while using the dough hook and metal bowl. is it normal for the noise and getting so hot? it was only 3 lb of flour.....?
also, where does one get it serviced? I dont have my manual any more

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 11:13 am
Go to the manufacturer's website to see if the owner's manual is online. Their list of service centers should be posted there as well. If not, call their toll-free number and ask how to get one. You may need to call a service center to reach a technician-type person who can advise you about mechanical issues.

I don't know what your machine sounds like so I can't say if the whining sound is normal, but I suspect not. I also don't think it's normal for the machine to heat up this way. A whining sound could be the result of unbalanced parts, though I think that would cause more of a rattling. More likely, to my mind, is that the whining is caused by too little clearance between the hook and the bowl, and the hook is scraping the bowl. You know how you can make the edge of a glass squeal by running your mositened finger around and around the rim?

Friction causes a lot of heat, and the fact that it's the bowl heating up rather than the motor suggests that friction, not wiring, is the culprit. You may not be seating the parts properly, you may have the wrong hook for your bowl or vice versa (packers can make mistakes), your hook or bowl may be bent or dented...lots of possible reasons.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 12:28 pm
thanks zaq! and gut shabbos!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars