Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challa Bosch

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:18 am
Ive been married for many years and I never made challa on my own.
I am moving to a new home and want to start making challa every week for Bracha in my home.
I want to gift myself a bosch.
Which one do I buy ?
Any extra pieces I need like a special challa bowl or challa Hook ?
Anyone can give me a step by step tutorial and WATER challa recipe for a really Yummy Soft Fluffy Challa
I dont know anything ....
I need basically Challa for dummies
I dont have social media to watch any of those
videos that are out there...
Also since I want to make challa every week so I want other recipes to do with leftover dough like dessert item So I can use half the dough fot challa half the dough for dessert
Also whats the best flour for challa and which yeast to buy .....do you have to sift the flour....
I need every little step but Im ready to finally Take on this Mitzva and daven every step of the way

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:57 pm
So exciting. You should get the Bosch and use the white bowl and the dough hook. The metal bowl is for cookies and cakes. The leftover dough you can make calazones, pretzels, deli roll. The best flour is kemach high gluten flour. The best is gefen activated dry yeast. It should be stored in a container covered in a dark dry place like the pantry or cabinet.
If you have more questions please feel free to reach out.
Happy baking and have fun
Oh the best time to bake challah is on a dry or rainy day. I know it sounds weird, but it works

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:04 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
So exciting. You should get the Bosch and use the white bowl and the dough hook. The metal bowl is for cookies and cakes. The leftover dough you can make calazones, pretzels, deli roll. The best flour is kemach high gluten flour. The best is gefen activated dry yeast. It should be stored in a container covered in a dark dry place like the pantry or cabinet.
If you have more questions please feel free to reach out.
Happy baking and have fun
Oh the best time to bake challah is on a dry or rainy day. I know it sounds weird, but it works

The opposite. White bowl for cookies and cakes, metal bowl for challah

And yes, there will be lots of people who will tell you that you don’t need to metal bowl.
And you don’t. You CAN make challah in the white. BUT, if you want your machine to last longer, use the metal bowl.
BTDT. I broke my machine way before it’s time because I didn’t buy the challah bowl. I made lots and lots of challah in the white bowl, but I wore out the machine and it died.
I now have a new machine for around 7/8 years already.
Don’t save $150-200 now so that you have to spend $500+ in a few years.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:05 pm
amother Denim wrote:
The opposite. White bowl for cookies and cakes, metal bowl for challah

And yes, there will be lots of people who will tell you that you don’t need to metal bowl.
And you don’t. You CAN make challah in the white. BUT, if you want your machine to last longer, use the metal bowl.
BTDT. I broke my machine way before it’s time because I didn’t buy the challah bowl. I made lots and lots of challah in the white bowl, but I wore out the machine and it died.
I now have a new machine for around 7/8 years already.
Don’t save $150-200 now so that you have to spend $500+ in a few years.
This

sara1232

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:17 pm
Get the silver bowl.
Re recipes there's a very good one on between carpools (called 'essential challah recipe' or smtng like that) that I make every week. I add half the sugar they recommend but otherwise follow exactly and it's delish.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:27 pm
Well this is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXy5ioGALOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp1CVy6BROQ

Put some oil in it. It's like egg without being egg. Egg is mostly fat, so oil approximates an egg. It makes the bread softer. Exactly how much doesn't matter.

Get a wire cooling rack, or a few. Without one, the bread can get soggy on the bottom as it cools.

Brush bread with beaten egg using a pastry brush, right before baking.

Have a snap-tight plastic box for the flour.

And another one for the finished breads after they are cooled.

You can make your own Challah Cover from a 20 inch dinner napkin, but that is a story for another day.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:45 pm
I heard from the Bosch company directly telling me to use the white bowl for breads and challahs. Oh well. I’m sure whatever you do it will still taste yum.
Hatzlocha snd happy baking

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:50 am
Just putting out there something I learned recently. If you're taking challah you might not be able to use the leftover dough for other things, it could be if it's something you would eat with challah it's fine. I'm not 100% clear on the details because I don't make challah but I told a friend who makes all the time and she said when she asked about it she was told she couldn't make things like babka.
I'm just saying this cuz you asked for recipes.
Anyway if you figure it out let me know how to make challah cuz I'm also so lost TMI . And hatzlacha in your new house.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 7:34 am
Either I make extra challah and freeze for another week, or I usually make rogelach/babka or kuchen.

kenz

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 8:06 am
There are 2 metal bowls, one that’s identical to the white but made of stainless steel and a special challah bowl to handle 5 or 6 lbs of flour, which comes with its own dough hook. Make sure you get that one if you plan to make enough to do hafrashas challah or you will burn out your motor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen