Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do you bring in?
Previous  1  2

Liba

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:52 pm
I can't stand the flavor of Israeli "vanilla'.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 5:13 pm
Liba wrote:

Me too -- I keep offering to bring it for DD from the US, but she says that she often bakes for other people for their simchas, and when she does that she needs to only use Badatz Eida Hachreidis ingredients.

abmom

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 6:35 pm
Someone I know takes A&B Gefilta Fish to her kids in Israel.

Liba

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 11:29 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Liba wrote:

Me too -- I keep offering to bring it for DD from the US, but she says that she often bakes for other people for their simchas, and when she does that she needs to only use Badatz Eida Hachreidis ingredients.

When baking for others I use Eida vanilla sugar. It is much better than the Eida "vanilla" extract.

ray family

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 11:48 pm
it's hard to find real vanilla here. the vanilla is imitation. I bring in the costco one cuz it's cheaper. when baking for others I use vanilla sugar.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 11:51 pm
We make our own vanilla extract.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 12:24 am
Deoderant, deoderant!! Also, baking spray, wine vinegar, jelly rings, American cheese, clothing, of course, sometimes gefilte fish rolls (a good brand is half the price of the cheapest here), shaving cream -I use it for work- $1.20 instead of 30+ NIS
Toys, books and washable markers, paint, etc. are htings I would LIKE to bring.

grace413

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 2:17 am
Canned salmon, canned white tuna, strong paper plates, ibuprofen, nose drops, underwear for me and DD, socks, Good Seasons salad dressing mix.

Warning: Canned items will automatically result in TSA inspection of your luggage.

EvenI

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 2:46 am
I use vanilla sugar. The vanilla "extract"/essence/whatever they call it is fake, but I think the vanilla sugar might not be.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 2:57 am
grace413 wrote:
Canned salmon, canned white tuna, strong paper plates, ibuprofen, nose drops, underwear for me and DD, socks, Good Seasons salad dressing mix.

Warning: Canned items will automatically result in TSA inspection of your luggage.

With today's weight limits??
I also do Tylenol and Aleve (no name brands)

underthestars

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:05 am
It is so interesting reading all the replys that everyone wrote in about what to bring from America. I too am guilty of many of the items you all mentioned and more, but I am beginning to rethink this. I have been here in Israel for about a year now, and everytime my family comes over I fill up their suitcase with "those items I must have or it is just so much cheaper to buy there and schlep", and both times those suitcases "got lost", though eventually made their way back to our home. I began to ask myself if I am not being sent a message from above, to learn to make due with what we get here...maybe that is part of the "living in Israel" experience, to live differently. I can't say I am completely convinced, as I probably will have some things to request in the next visit from America, but it is just something to think about.

Again, I am not completely there, as I still have my "lists", but they are getting shorter over time.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:08 am
I agree, the lists are getting shorter, but also as B"H I have children, longer in other ways. I think the only thing I see almost everyone I know still tries to import, though, is deoderant!

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:10 am
makeup
crayola crayons
boys underpants

grace413

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:35 am
sped wrote:
grace413 wrote:

With today's weight limits??
I also do Tylenol and Aleve (no name brands)

My DH is a frequent flyer. When he come to Israel he puts his files and tallis/tephilin in his carry-on. The whole big checked suitcase is just for my goodies - books/magazines, stuff I've ordered online and the grocery/drug store items he buys.

He has clothes here and there, doesn't need to pack any.

When my kids were small, my lists were different.

I'd happily mevater on canned salmon and whatever if my DH could be here all the time. Since that's not the case, I try to make the best of the situation.

And for a real laugh: DS is in the States now. DH brought canned light tuna in oil from Israel to the States for him, claimed they couldn't find Star-Kist with a hechsher and didn't like the brand they did find.

nameless

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 4:14 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Liba wrote:

I also can't stand Israeli vanilla. But I found Maimon's brand is not bad it doesn't have that overpowering fake vanilla taste. My husband told me it's psychological but I really think it's much better.

kb

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 4:55 am
I'm sure it's better. It's 4 times the price!!!! (Which is why I haven't tried it out yet.)

catonmylap

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 5:29 am
Keep in mind that they are now limited to one suitcase a piece and will have to pay for a 2nd one.

I mostly order things I want off the web ( I watch deal sites close to relatives arrivals) and have them shipped to the person coming..

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 7:25 am
Didn't know ziplock bags are a household item! I see it daily in my local grocery, yet never bought or used them!

smss

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 7:41 am
Peanut2 wrote:
Don't you just use akamol in israel?

why vanilla extract? I've bought that in israel. is it expensive? just want to know for when we beH move to Israel. It's so small I may as well bring.

You CAN use acamol, it's the exact same thing as tylenol, but it's a lot more expensive here than there...one of those things Smile

I never had an issue with the vanilla, but to each their own.....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions