Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
At what point can we ask to receive help?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 9:18 pm
DH works on commission only and hasn't made any money in a long time. bH we've been fine until now but the money is going faster than we can believe it, and it doesn't help that I'm due in 5 months - adding on much more pressure than already before.

If we keep buying food, and paying for insurance and rent, I think we might only have a few months until we're completely broke. I just finished school and I'm looking for a job but I'm not having any luck.

Our parents can't help us even though they'd want to, so it would only make them feel terrible as well. And we're not eligible for any state benefits because of DH's previous tax returns.

At what point do we qualify for ma'aser?

It KILLS DH because all he wants in the world is to be able to support a family, but now we're really struggling. What can we do? (besides daven and our hishtadlus.)

Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
DH works on commission only and hasn't made any money in a long time. bH we've been fine until now but the money is going faster than we can believe it, and it doesn't help that I'm due in 5 months - adding on much more pressure than already before.

If we keep buying food, and paying for insurance and rent, I think we might only have a few months until we're completely broke. I just finished school and I'm looking for a job but I'm not having any luck.

Our parents can't help us even though they'd want to, so it would only make them feel terrible as well. And we're not eligible for any state benefits because of DH's previous tax returns.

At what point do we qualify for ma'aser?

It KILLS DH because all he wants in the world is to be able to support a family, but now we're really struggling. What can we do? (besides daven and our hishtadlus.)

I'm just going to nitpick on one point:
Quickly file this year's tax return, so when an agency asks to see your latest tax return, you can provide the current one which shows little income.

May you have much hatzlacha at this stressful time.

newlywed19

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 10:49 pm
If your from NY they don't ask for past tax returns they ask for current income when applying. You can be eligible for food-stamps and insurance especially If you are pregnant. Inbox me if u hAve any questions

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 11:31 pm
OP:

We're not in NY. I've heard government help is easier once there is a child, but also when pregnant?

mommy of boys

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 11:35 pm
I dont know where you are located but I imagine most places have WIC.
Almost anyone pregnant can qualify, so find out if that available in your area.
It doesn't give that much but once you have a baby it's definitely worth it if you need formula.
Good Luck!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 11:53 pm
Last years tax returns shouldn't effect you now. Most places want he last four paystubs if the incomes is not consistentlty the same each month they Will average it in. It may be annoying to go through the process but if u are on top of it food stamps, wic, hud, heap,Medicaid can really help alot. There are also Jewish organisations that don't look at ur taxes like tomchia shabbos...

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 2:17 am
Is it possible for your husband to consider a different job that pays a salary . Even car service or B&H, or computer training .
I have had commission only jobs also . If you have a baby coming very soon and don't have a year worth of expenses on savings a commission only job is really not feasible

busydev

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:24 am
for most govt programs a pregnant woman counts as 2- herself and the child. You will not need to show last years tax returns, but the current income that you have (or dont have) now.

apply for medicaid, foodstamps and wic as soon as you can. If you live in a place where there is an organization that can help you apply- talk to them, they will help you figure out what you need and if you are eligible.

If not- google medicaid eligilbility and your state. You should be sent to your state's webpage and it will have a chart with the income limits. if you have not made anything or not very much over recent months you dont even need to bother. just apply. (there is possibly an online aplpication and then they will send you a letter telling you to come in for an appointment and what you need to bring.)

Get a note from your dr that says you are pregnant, when you are due and how many you are expecting. that is needed for all govt aid offices when your expecting.

If after getting help from the govt there is still a need then talk to a rav or any jewish local organization about how to get additional help.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:33 am
mommy of boys wrote:

Almost anyone pregnant can qualify, so find out if that available in your area.
!

I just wanted to point out that this isn't true. The guidelines are slightly higher than other programs, but you still need to make very little to get on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics