Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have separate peeler?
Previous  1  2

do you have separate peelers? (milichig, fleishig, pareve)
yes  
 27%  [ 24 ]
no  
 68%  [ 59 ]
other  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 86

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:35 pm
Also, just wondering how do people clean peelers by hand? They are sharp!

busydev

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:36 pm
carefully and with a sponge.

not everyone has dishwashers you know...

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 3:07 pm
Ha! Thanks, busydev. Ok, I was thinking way too literally. Rolling Laughter I also wash mine with sponge. Very Happy

Can you tell I only got a few hours of sleep? Yawn Yawn coffee

allrgymama

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 3:31 pm
I have three separate peelers, primarily so that I can throw them into the sink and not worry about if it's going to 'turn' milichige or fleishige cause there was something else in the sink and it got both dirty and hot.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:22 pm
I have separate peelers, they hang around on the counter, where things splash, spill etc. especially when I'm preparing chicken at the same time as many other dishes....And I may be using a "semi " fleishig knife to trim some of the veggies. definition: a knife that was supposed to be parve, but got used or washed with fleishig. ( these days,I keep the parve knife hidden, so I'm the only one who knows where it is. Somehow, nobody else can manage to remember to keep it parve...) But I only peel vegetables with the peeler.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:35 pm
Raisin, I can't actually think of any canned items I buy that are meat or dairy.

The only thing I've bought in the past was cream of mushroom soup - and I remember those being flip top!

Liba

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 2:40 pm
I guess this is one of the benefits of having a pareve counter and sink. I B"H have no issue keeping my knives and peelers pareve.

Marion

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 3:22 pm
Pareve. Why would I need a milchig/fleishig peeler for veggies or fruit?

tzfatisha

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 6:04 pm
all my main pots are parve.. basically I make all grains, veggies and pasta parve and then add meat/dairy as and when ... the only exception being if I make roast chicken '/cholent for shabbat and cook in one pot.
but I still prepare the veggies parve... so much easier.. I never have to worry if a rice/pasta /veggie dish is meat or dairy... cos it's parve.. unless it's actually in a one pot dish..
eg lasagne/ shepherds pie etc
Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:31 am
mommyhood wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My father is a rav in the kashrus industry and he has separate can openers. I don't believe can openers fully get clean, and it's very common for residue to stick on it. Therefore, we have separate can openers.

So your father says it's halachically required, or it's just what he chooses to do.

Halachically required in the case I mentioned: where you open milchig and fleishigs (I never asked if you open one of the types and use it on pareve the rest) since the can opener always has residue. You're not supposed to wash them. If you do wash them, it may be different, but it will get rusty quickly.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:32 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Raisin, I can't actually think of any canned items I buy that are meat or dairy.

The only thing I've bought in the past was cream of mushroom soup - and I remember those being flip top!

I was thinking the same thing, but not all brands are flip top, just the one I usually buy (the few times I buy it -- e.g. when I hosted my parents post-taanis, and they're after fast food is cream of mushroom soup with minute rice!)

But I have bought Shoprite chicken broth in a can before as well.

RachelB

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:22 pm
In our house, everything is either Milchig or Fleishig. An exception is one measuring cup, which is parve. I just feel it's easier this way.

momof2ny1

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 9:39 am
yes,I definitely have 2 peelers
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen