Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I ask for a raise

amother

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 9:30 pm
Planning to cut my hours at work, can I ask for a raise?

Leahh

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 10:25 pm
Cutting your hours and keeping the same salary is a raise. I would think it would be inappropriate to ask/do both at the same time or even close together.
A lot of people I know negotiate a cut in hours or extra vacation time instead of a raise because they need the time to be with their families and can't ask for both.
Good luck

amother

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:38 pm
Well I get paid by the hour so you have to understand this will be a cut in salary too. Honetly, I do feel I deserve that raise since I've been working very hard over the last few months.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:43 pm
you can always ask ... but be strategic about your hard work & your devotion despite cutting back the hours you will continue to give it your best

Kfar

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:44 pm
why not ask for an hourly raise if you think you deserve it?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:50 pm
Sorry I didn't mention that I already got a raise this year. I get once like every year or so. My queation is that since I'm cutting my hours I will be getting paid a lot less & really feel I deserve to be paid same at least.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:57 pm
Careful. It has nothing to do with how hard you have been working. It has everything to do with how replaceable you are.

It's like this: if there were a certain silk blouse, really gorgeous, would you get it at full price or the same blouse at a discount place? The same exact blouse?

Or, if the discount place had a polyester equivalent that was nearly as pretty, but selling for a lot less, would you go for the best, or the cheaper substitute? That might depend.

But that's how an employer is going to think.

Just be aware.

If you have something unique that they need, sure, ask for more.

And you might. You might know all the clients by name, recognize their voices the minute they say hello, be a wiz on an abstruse computer program, be very familiar with the products and the industry.

Would replacing you be agony, a real set-back for the business, or a temporary inconvenience?

They are not going to over-spend. Think it out carefully.

Cutting your hours and asking for more per hour is hitting them TWICE at the same time. Just know that.

But it's not immoral or horrible, just look at the business aspect.

Remember to be kind, if you get what you want. Nobody likes to be defeated. You are going to need their goodwill. Be gracious and tactful in victory. Be awfully grateful, and deliver even more, and smile.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics