Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I'm soo concerned!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:15 pm
Does kriya/Ivre have anything to do with intelligence? My son seems to be a pretty smart kid, however when it comes to Ivre/ reading loshen kodesh, he struggles just a bit. He knows all the concepts and rules very well but could say here and there some words wrong. His rebbe says the rest of the kids in class are doing a bit better. Im just so concerned if this is an indicator that he might struggle with rest of studies to come, like chumush, gemura etc?? He is a deep thinker, and otherwise bright child, so I'm just not sure if reading is just a sort of memory skill?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:30 pm
how old is your son? mine similar, I think. I really think it's a question of connection to the language. once he started learning to translate, he picked up the pace. it's difficult for kids to learn to read a language they are pretty much unfamiliar with. give it some time and don't pressure him.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:34 pm
It has nothing to do with intelligence. My son, according to his Kodoesh teacher was among one of the brightest in the class and was the lowest in his Hebrew skills.

sped

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:35 pm
How old is he? The best advice I know of is to practice with him for a few minutes - not more than five- every day. Make it fun, not a kriah chore. I know of people who do tehillim. You can explain its power, do it for someone's zechus, reward him for doing it (my friend uses chocolate chips in a cup for every line - eat at the end of the session) and make a siyum at the end. Just keep it positive. Hatzlacha.
And no, nothing to do with intelligence. Don't worry.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:36 pm
I had same situation with dd. She was not the 'worse' in the class but definitely slower & made more mistakes than rest of the class. English reading is so much easier, she got that right away. The principal suggested we study 10 minutes every day just to make her read faster with no mistakes, we sometimes timed with a timer how many correct words she can do in 2 minutes. I reported back to principal every 2 weeks how much she practiced & she was rewarded in school for it. Now, few months later, she's great in ivra. Hardly makes mistakes & reads faster than me!

mommy best

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 9:42 pm
You can check his eye sight he might be struggling with reading.

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 10:09 pm
Kriah is hard to master. He may need some help from a private tutor. It's very Normal. Doesn't mean he's not smart!

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 9:17 am
The key to reading is practice. The more practice he gets, the better he will be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children