Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pidyon Haben

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 1:54 pm
My aunt called today to invite me to pidyon haben that her daughter is making. As much as I would love to go, I work and I already took a morning off for the Bris. (It didn't start on time and then shlepped on for hours.) However, she can't seem to understand this. She sounds really hurt that I wouldn't be able to make it. What would you do in this situation? How would you explain it in a way that she will realize that it is nothing personal- just a conflict of schedule.

bookie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:05 pm
I would just say something like "I'm sorry I would really love to be there but it's difficult for me to take time off from work"

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 4:11 pm
op here- I tried that route already but since I work from home (computer job) she doesn't seem to understand that I need to work office hours and it is not any easier for me to take off than s/o who works in an actual office. I live in Israel if that makes any diff.- I find that attitude regarding brissim here to be totally diff. Meaning in america a bris is a quick affair in the morning and everyone is rushing off to work. Here, everyone seems to have the whole day to stay for a long 3 course meal. Is that why she can't understand that I just can't take off again for a pidyon haben? She hasn't worked in years and maybe doesn't realize that I have very few vacation days and I can't afford to use it on this.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 4:16 pm
while it's nice to go to simchas ... it's understandable why you would not want to take off work for a pidyan haben ... your family and parnassah comes first
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette