Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What does Mailitz Yosher mean?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 5:28 pm
Does Hashem not hear us from earth? Why do we need people who were Niftar to daven for us? Where did this concept come from?

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:53 pm
I can't answer your philosophical questions but I can answer your vocab question.
A "melitz yosher" is one who speaks in someone else's defense. The word "melitz" itself has three literal meanings: 1. an interpreter 2. one who speaks or writes in an eloquent and beautiful style (the related word "melitzah" means flowery, poetic language) 3. one who recommends or speaks well of someone ("lehamlitz" means to recommend).

So a melitz yosher is not so much davening on your behalf as putting in a good word for you. Can't hurt, but don't quit davening yourself.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:57 pm
a soul is closer to hashem than a person since they are already in the olam haemes ... the world is just a segue

but one should always daven as well on their own behalf - as that is our relationship & personal connection to Hashem

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 9:06 pm
I still don't understand. If I daven for something and Hashem says no, the Neshama of someone who was Niftar can change Hashem's mind by telling Him that He should listen to me because I'm a good person or because I want it really badly? Doesn't Hashem already know exactly how good or bad I am and exactly how badly I want what I want? If Hashem has said no to me, isn't it for a good reason? Why would a Mailitz Yosher be able to change anything?

Maybe the Neshama offers to give up some of his Schar on our behalf? Could that be?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics