Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Omg im crying
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 4:42 pm
My DH lost his job on Friday afternoon and we have two dependents with chronic illness...I wish we had $8,000.

::How the other half lives::

OP, please put this in perspective.

wispalover

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 4:42 pm
I don't live in the States anymore, but when I did, I loved this site. If we ever move back, I will again follow her advice to the letter.
Look on the right hand side for her story about getting out of debt.
http://kosheronabudget.com/

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:09 pm
I'm almost married for 4 years we didn't even have a bank account till recently and now the money goes in so we can pay our bills. So it's basically 1200 in 1200 out. I'm not surprised when there is nothing in it.

rikki!

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:32 pm
wispalover wrote:
I don't live in the States anymore, but when I did, I loved this site. If we ever move back, I will again follow her advice to the letter.
Look on the right hand side for her story about getting out of debt.
http://kosheronabudget.com/

This :-)

Stopped using the dryer. Savings… ~$15/month

ElTam

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:06 pm
OP, sit down and make a budget. Find a way to earn more and/or spend less BEFORE you run out of money, not after. Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 2:01 am
Let's see here, $75K in debt, lost my home to foreclosure, rent keeps going up, food stamps just got cut back, $38 in the bank, no savings, hardly any food in the house. I'm too disabled to do any babysitting, I have a special needs child, and a DH who is out of work.

For me, $8,000 would be like winning the lottery.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 2:09 am
I understand that people are trying to help OP put things into perspective, but I also feel as if this is almost becoming a competition. OP is watching her balance dwindling each month. I think she has every right to be nervous.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 6:03 am
Can anybody help? OP and all the others who are struggling, is there someone to turn to, a Tomchei Shabbos or gemachim or a shul Rav who could direct others' maaser? A job board/advertisements? Can disabled or unskilled amothers find work from home online transcribing or being a virtual assistant, or babysit someone else's kids for money?

Maybe Yael could be sort of a go-between/check out that people's stories are legit and we could redirect some of our maaser. I'd love to help Jewish families who are struggling.

We mostly live paycheck to paycheck without much left over after expenses and maaser, though BH have about 500 in the bank right now (that's shekels, not dollars) and... I won't tell you how much in investments... no children yet and BH we both have good jobs right now, but there was a time when neither of us was employed full-time and although we have emuna and BH have never actually gone hungry or been evicted, I do remember a time when we wondered how we were going to pay rent or where our next meal was going to come from. I'm really passionate that maaser goes to help struggling Jews. We're not rich and I don't have much, but I'm serious, if something can be worked out I'd love to help.

(Oh, and if it means one more meal can be on the table during the week, Israeli amothers should PLEASE PM me for Shabbos invitations!)

(Oh funny--I think this is my 613th post.)

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 6:13 am
This is slightly off topic, but for all of you amothers saying that you have $0 and no job, disabled, etc... I have clothing, boots, shoes, and other stuff I can give away. Right now I give it to my cousins and sil, but they dont really need it that badly, I have np giving to someone who really needs it. I have mens,ladies, and kids stuff. I even have stuff like backpacks, toys, coats.... Please pm me, tell me what you need and I will try to get it for you. I am even willing to give food of I know that there is a legitimate need.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:57 am
Wow...this thread makes me so sad and makes me feel so lucky! My monthly expenses are about $8k/month and I was freaking out about not having a paid maternity leave and not having that much in my maternity fund yet (besides my regular savings). Thanks for putting things in perspective!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:21 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I am indeed an older lady. That is why I know about this.

I am not awfully strong, or I would. Some people can do it and some people can't.

And, I said, go through your Rebbetzin, not the Internet. Or the authorities of your hashkafa.

I am not for the mentality "I did my bit, my kids are grown, and now I can have fun." Woman's work is never done. Or anyway, you can pitch in a little in these difficult times. Four hours a WEEK might make a difference to somebody and one can spare that.

Especially if someone were doing the same thing for YOUR daughter, on a reciprocal basis.

Well Dolly, you should certainly try eating a lot of steak if you are not so strong. I believe I've read on this site how helpful steak can be.

Maybe you'll be able to volunteer as babysitter soon. Oh, how helpful that would be.

Really, try the steak ... what a difference that can make in your life!

Don't forget to get back to us and let us know if it worked!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics