Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please be aware about Flu Vaccine Dangers
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 7:02 pm
Right, the flu can (and has) triggered an asthma attack in dd.

Obviously, I would like to minimize that risk to whatever extent possible. (And I wish the parents of kids in her class felt the same!)

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:07 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
children ages 6 months-5 years who attend city regulated daycare or preschool are required to get the vaccinated. Can you please point me in the direction of something that says its mandatory for children older than that?

I could stand corrected; my kids are both in that age range so when they told me the law is everyone needs the flu shot they might have just meant everyone in their grades.
Still, makes me very nervous.
And by "city regulated" I think that just means authorized/licensed/whatever it takes to be legal to run. Because my kids are not in public programs, one is in a yeshiva's kindergarten and one is in a basement playgroup type setup, but a legally run one.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:12 pm
seeker wrote:
I could stand corrected; my kids are both in that age range so when they told me the law is everyone needs the flu shot they might have just meant everyone in their grades.
Still, makes me very nervous.
And by "city regulated" I think that just means authorized/licensed/whatever it takes to be legal to run. Because my kids are not in public programs, one is in a yeshiva's kindergarten and one is in a basement playgroup type setup, but a legally run one.

I think city regulated means they have regulations they need to follow re doh recommendations. Maybe they have a nurse who works for the doh (or whatever it's called) or for whatever reason they follow the same guidelines as public schools.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
They don't have time to go through the usual process with the flu shot because it changes so frequently and of course I understand why they have to update it every year. That doesn't take away the fact that it has side effects and last year had VERY limited success as admitted by the CDC who continued to recommend it.

No. I didn't think you understood. Scientists spend a lot of time developing the flu vaccine. It has to be updated every year because of antigenic drift. Using the best epidemiological evidence they have they make the vaccine against the most likely strains but it's obviously not foolproof, since it has to be done a year in advance.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:46 pm
seeker wrote:
Pediatricians can say what they want but as of last year here in NY the department of health requires all schoolchildren to have it, updated every year. It struck me as quite crazy that they chose the 12% effective year to start enforcing this rule (and yes, the decision came out after it was already clear that the vax wasn't effective that year.) I don't like it.

That's why they chose this year, the year when parents are less likely to be giving it was the year it needed to be enforced. If it would be more effective, more parents would want to give it so they wouldn't need to mandate it.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
No. I didn't think you understood. Scientists spend a lot of time developing the flu vaccine. It has to be updated every year because of antigenic drift. Using the best epidemiological evidence they have they make the vaccine against the most likely strains but it's obviously not foolproof, since it has to be done a year in advance.

how much time can they be spending on it if it has to come out within 2 years?
I am pro-vax and my kids are pretty much up to date but the flu shot is one shot I don't give. A family member was paralyzed suddenly a couple years back - every dr. and neurologist first's question was "did you get the flu shot"? And this was in a major hospital.

anon cause lots of ppl know this story

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:22 am
Miri7 wrote:
Please also be aware of dangers posed by auto accidents.

In 2013, 640 children under the age of 13 were killed in auto accidents.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topic.....afety

And when a car accident vaccine comes out , will you go get it?

sky

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
And when a car accident vaccine comes out , will you go get it?

I wear seatbelts, a fairly new invention. Some car deaths are care caused by seat belts (drowning, car fires, etc), but it saves more lives then otherwise.
And when I take a baby home from the hospital I buckle them into a carseat and then into the car. Unlike my mother who was just placed in a bassinet and the bassinet was slid into the backseat of a car with no restraints at all.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 11:15 am
I got the flu shot once-last winter when I was pregnant. My midwife suggested I get the shot... 3 weeks after my baby was born, I got the flu. It left me so weak, it was terrible!
Last year was the first time I got vaccinated, and the first time I got the flu...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics