Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this normal???

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 1:34 pm
I want 2 know if his is normal 2yo behavior or if this is something to be worried about......

dd gets reaaaaally upset from the smallest things, like a piece of her bread started splitting down the middle and she started crying and banging and kicking the wall......

she cries and gets frantic when her socks aren't straight, sleeves are too long, shoes are untied..... she'll get so upset she bangs her head. not a tantrum, just really upset......

when she's upset she hurst herself like banging her head in the wall or taking a hard toy and cracking it against her knee.......

she looks depressed 50% of the time at least. mopes around the house kvetching and getting worked up over little things.....

she used to like to play in the park, now she stands there in one spot forever....up to 30 minutes..... before I tell her, let's go down the slide or do something.....

but then sometimes she snaps out if it a second later and is the most vivacious, happy, 2yo. so I don't know.........

happymom

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 4:39 pm
sounds like something is bothering her! do u have any idea what? does she go to school? if yes, is she happy there??

either way I think its importnat to teach her what to do when things bother her. like of her sandwhich breaks u can tell her to say "mommy, can u please fix this.. etc"

greenfire

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 4:42 pm
sounds a little much ... yes I agree - she probably has trouble communicating but she also seems frustrated for such a little kid ... did you ask her pediatrician about this ...

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 5:11 pm
she goes to school & LOVES it there..... she would rather stay there than come home......

she also can't really speak so maybe it's frutration, but the selt-hurting is so worrisome!!!!!

she has a dr appt tomorrow I will definitely talk about this........

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 5:57 pm
Call up an early intervention center. This is not normal behavior for a two year old. beating self inflicting wounds is a big problem, Your child might need some intervention.

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 6:06 pm
My dd (now 9) used to bang her head against the wall, the crib, the floor, and LAUGH each time. She was 2 at the time. We asked her dr to check her. He found nothing wrong, b'H, and said it was simply an odd toddler phase.

yoyosma

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 7:18 pm
If it really bothers you, I would do as Mommy 3.5 suggested, take her to an EI center and get her evaluated.
A social worker and special ed teacher are always present so even if she has no developmental delays, they can tell you if anything else is out of the ordinary.
If you live in NY, there are a million places to go. Good luck.

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 7:20 pm
she's going to EI for speech evaluation in a few weeks.... would they let me know if there's another problem?

yoyosma

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 7:21 pm
Yes, they will.
Also, voice these concerns to them. Let them know what she does and they will address them during the evaluation.
Good luck!

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
she's going to EI for speech evaluation in a few weeks.... would they let me know if there's another problem?

they will not look for other issues, you have to make sure they KNOW the issue exists. If the child does not bang her head when frustrated in front of the evaluator, the evaluator will have no clue that she has this issue. You have to be your child's advocate, don't be passive and leave it to the professional, you know your child best.

amother

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:00 pm
at her pedi appt, the doc said that her acting out is probably b/c of her inability to communicate, and that we shouldn't worry unless she doesn't get better with speech therapy. I hope he's right.

Seraph

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:58 am
The things that you mentioned get her frustrated... could it be possible she has sensory integration problems? Maybe I'm being far-fetched, but look into it.

raizy

Post Sat, May 26 2007, 9:32 pm
but some stuff u said are very normal for a kids. bread can not be broken. the shirt sleeves have to be up. and the cake and cupcakes musnt be broken or chipped in any way.

and some kids love to look and explore and watch other kids play before they go and join in.

and yes 2 yr old do throw tantrum for the dumiest thing that u consider dumb but they consider major.

maybe it is a bit of both or everything.

amother

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 11:31 am
She has her evaluation tomorrow. I hope to better understand if it's a problem or not.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:30 pm
There may be so many different things that may cause this. She may be frustrated as a result of speech delay or sometimes these tantrums are just a stage that they go through. However, the examples that you give with her socks and shirt... sound very much like sensory integration disorder and an OT can work with this to help her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics