Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
3.5 yo suddenly having accidents ALL THE TIME

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 3:49 pm
My 3.5 yo DD has been toilet-trained (during the day) for about a year. She hadn't had an accident in months, until last week when she suddenly started having them, almost every day, once twice a day.

What can be causing this? Is she just getting distracted/lazy/busy? Can there be a medical problem?

Any advice appreciated!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 3:58 pm
there's such a thing that kids relapse with toilet training even if they are good for such a long time. maybe check into other things that she is not going through any trauma,molestation etc.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:03 pm
I remember my kids relapsing a few months after being trained. If all else is fine - like she's not coming down with a fever or something - I'd do a little re-training. I remember buying another pack of chocolate lentils, which is what I used as an incentive the first time around - and offering it as a reward again...and then phasing it out again. I don't remember it taking very long to get back on track, B"H.

cm

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:14 pm
Once the novelty wears off - who care about going to the bathroom, especially when you are so busy with other activities! Or so plenty of three-year-olds seem to think.

The doctor may want to check for a UTI, but otherwise reminders and incentives should do the trick.

Last edited by cm on Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

5*Mom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:15 pm
Is this happening at home or at camp?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:21 pm
At home. (She attended day camp for a few weeks at the beginning of the summer and had no accidents there AFAIK. She's home now and having accidents here.)

Thanks for the advice. I should get going again with the hourly reminders + chocolate chips.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:49 pm
Yeah, the novelty wears off fast and bribery is good!

happy mommy6

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 8:01 pm
It can be a urinary tract infection or strep throat. If she's trained for a year. ..it's not the novelty anymore. ...id look into it.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 8:07 pm
When this happened with my DD, I made a chart for her, and when she had 5 perfect days she got a big prize. I didn't reinforce the actual going to the bathroom, but just reminded her - the chart was sufficient motivation for her to drop everything and run when I said it was time. It took exactly 5 days and I had no problems after that.

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 8:08 pm
happy mommy6 wrote:
It can be a urinary tract infection or strep throat. If she's trained for a year. ..it's not the novelty anymore. ...id look into it.

This! Had the same with dd. It was strept

yiddishe woman

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 9:17 am
my son also just started having accidents after being trained. I had a cranial osteopath come down to me and he said his muscles need strengthening so we are doing a few sessions. also, sometimes if a child is in a new environment, school , new teacher this can trigger the regress.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 9:29 am
I had the same with dd. doctor said it was mrsa. check for any big like boils near diaper area

piece

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:23 pm
to be on the safe side, I would check it out by a Doctor
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training