Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
At what age did your kids dress themselves in the mornings?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 4:07 pm
Just trying to get a sense the age at which children dress themselves in the morning - reminding them is ok, I mean when they physically do it themselves.

zelda

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:45 pm
I think average age to learn is 4. I teach 4 year olds and they all come in with mitzvah notes that they dressed themselves which means their parents are working on it. In school we also encourage dressing up in winter clothes, zipping and putting on shoes.

Optione

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:53 pm
My 3.5 year old gets dressed by herself with minimal help. Rarely does she do it 100%

lizard8

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:52 pm
Girls 3. Boys 4.
Usually girls are more excited to get dressed by themselves and practice earlier. It also depends on the type of clothing. Small buttons and tights are difficult for 4 year old.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 9:29 pm
My son just turned 3. He do zip footy pjs by himself and put on his shoes (Velcro) but sometimes gets it on the wrong feet.
He tries to do pants but can't yet...

He can undress himself mostly (he can't undo buttons so it depends on the article of clothing.).

How does one encourage their kid to do more?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:56 pm
My 2.5 year old daughter has been dressing herself for a couple of months now. She wakes up earlier than I do and it gives her something to keep her busy. I leave her clothing out the night before. She wears easy clothing -- pullover tshirts and leggings or skirts, no snaps/zippers/buttons. Her shoes are also easy velcro. I taught her how to check where the tag is so she knows which is the front/back. It takes her about 10 min to get dressed while it takes me about 30s to dress her.
I taught her which shoes go on which feet by showing her that the velcro goes on the outside. She occasionally gets this wrong.
In terms of encouraging your child, you can start showing them that they can do an easy outfit, and then make a big deal about it. With my daughter, she swells with pride when I compliment her on getting dressed by herself. She feels so grown up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics