Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please enlighten me- Teacher qualification

MadameX

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:01 pm
Between going to MO and Public schools here in the states, my DH and I are not aware of how things work in the Yeshiva world when it comes to teacher qualifications. I have come across girls fresh out of seminary that are now Morahs to girls in Beis Yaakov. My husband has a family member that is a Rebbe in a school and he has absolutely zero qualifications or experience to teach. It confuses us because it seems as though any one off the street can teach our children.
Please, this is NOT a bashing thread. I am sincerely confused and concerned. Is this the norm?
My DC is in an all boys Yeshiva in Brooklyn. Though he has not reached the stage of Rebbes yet, I worry for the future. Who are these Rabbis? are they qualified to teach? Do the English department teachers have degrees in what they are teaching?

I would appreciate if someone can enlighten me to what is going on. Right now I am pretty naive to this topic and I would really like to know more.
I hope I have not offended anyone with what I have said, this is not my intention.

Thank you!

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:06 pm
The answer is a big, fat, "it depends."

There are many yeshiva in Brooklyn. With many different policies about hiring qualifications.

Your best bet is to find out what the standards are in his school.

One really can't generalize.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:08 pm
Were you happy with the MO schools you attended?

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:10 pm
Private schools can hire whoever they want + the kind of teachers a Bais Yaakov or yeshiva is attracting are not necessarily the type to go to college = basically anyone even without qualifications can and do teach in yeshivas (though that's not quite the same as "anyone off the street" - they are carefully vetted according to other, yeshiva-set criteria.

English departments may hire degrees only but limudei kodesh usually don't.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:26 pm
I was hired straight out of high school to teach preteens. I am working on my degree now, but I'm not so sure the school would be too pleased to find out about it.

I was a straight A student, and before you dismiss that achievement, I am currently maintaining a 4.0 GPA while working almost full time and raising a family. I never teach anything I don't research thoroughly (and yes, I know that Wikipedia is not considered research.)

My point is: the school where I teach is not preparing its student body for academic careers, or careers at all. They hire the best and the brightest from within the community. This is a decision based on the values they espouse, even if the trade-off is a reduction in scholastic level.

If you are concerned about the faculty's qualifications in your son's school, ask the administration whatever you want to know. If it's the kind of school that supports post-secondary education they most likely do hire qualified staff.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:55 pm
I believe many seminaries offer a Teachers' Certification, although TBH I have no idea what that is worth.

Also, I'm a firm believer in that while education and brilliance can enhance a teacher, it is talent that matters the most.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:59 pm
It depends on the school.
There are some schools that you can get hired with 0 qualifications and some schools where you need certification + a M.Ed.
Choose a school in line with your hashkafa, assuming you live in a city with choices.

acemom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
My point is: the school where I teach is not preparing its student body for academic careers, or careers at all. They hire the best and the brightest from within the community. This is a decision based on the values they espouse, even if the trade-off is a reduction in scholastic level.

and this

tigerwife wrote:

Also, I'm a firm believer in that while education and brilliance can enhance a teacher, it is talent that matters the most.

It really depends on the school but I strongly agree with the second poster I quoted. Even with all the right degrees and qualifications, it takes a specific skill to be able to relate to students on their level.

Good luck!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 11:16 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Yes!
I've seen this proven countless times!
Signed,
A school principal who prefers to hire teachers with degrees because it's what the parent body prefers but not necessarily what makes for a better teacher.

EnnuiGalore

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 8:00 am
MadameX wrote:
Between going to MO and Public schools here in the states, my DH and I are not aware of how things work in the Yeshiva world when it comes to teacher qualifications. I have come across girls fresh out of seminary that are now Morahs to girls in Beis Yaakov. My husband has a family member that is a Rebbe in a school and he has absolutely zero qualifications or experience to teach. It confuses us because it seems as though any one off the street can teach our children.
Please, this is NOT a bashing thread. I am sincerely confused and concerned. Is this the norm?
My DC is in an all boys Yeshiva in Brooklyn. Though he has not reached the stage of Rebbes yet, I worry for the future. Who are these Rabbis? are they qualified to teach? Do the English department teachers have degrees in what they are teaching?

I would appreciate if someone can enlighten me to what is going on. Right now I am pretty naive to this topic and I would really like to know more.
I hope I have not offended anyone with what I have said, this is not my intention.

Thank you!

Yes, this is the norm. Yeshivas that require actual skills to teach are in the minority.

MadameX

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:38 am
Thank you everyone who took time to reply. I will certainly look into what qualifications the school requires their faculty have. My DS's school is known in Brooklyn for its English department, so I would hope they have high standards for their teachers.
But it is true, at the end of the day talent trumps education.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:41 am
I think it also depends on the grade of the students in question. For elementary school, teaching talent is probably the strongest predictor of success by far.

In the higher grades, I would think a teacher with a degree in the subject field + teaching qualifications is necessary to be effective. I wouldn't want someone who is a good teacher but who doesn't know anything (beyond next week's lesson plan) about English Literature or Physics to be in charge of teaching those subjects to my kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics