Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fever on antibiotics

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 11:17 pm
My son is on day 9 of amoxil for strep and now just started a fever again. Is this normal?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 11:23 pm
No. Call the doctor.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 5:18 am
It is very possible that the strep infection is not responding to the amoxicillin and he needs a different medication. Or he might have a virus on top of strep. Call your doctor.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:15 am
From my experience most likely a new virus because the fever is coming out at the end of the treatment vs the beginning ..... in either case you can't reculture during the treatment so finish the 10 days and 48 hours later go for a culture (you can still visit the dr but they won't test for strep )

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:50 am
No, it's not normal. It could be drug fever - a reaction to a drug that usually occurs on day 7-10 of treatment and will go away if the antibiotic is stopped. But, only a doctor can tell you whether it is drug fever or a virus and whether you should stop or not.

In short, see your doctor!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:52 pm
Thanks for advice.
So I took him to the doctor who doesn't believe in the possibility of it being the antibiotic not working. He believes its a new virus but my son's symptoms initially was a fever and his legs were hurting him and now he's complaining his legs are hurting him and he has fever so I'm starting to get nervous it's something ch'v worse.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:03 pm
Aching legs could be as a result of the fever ...... it could also be a symptom of strep so if you are still worried I would take another culture two days after he finishes the medicine ..... if it's negative means medicine worked
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics