Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Knitting during 9 days

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 12:54 pm
I just read in shulchan oruch that a woman is not allowed to weave or knit since shsi means foundatin and refers to one of the fundamental elements of the bais hamikdash some women have accepted this prohibition upon themselves ...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 12:56 pm
Right. You can mend clothing if you really need them, but no embroidery, sewing or weaving for pleasure is allowed.

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 12:59 pm
Yes I know all about this one. I go through withdrawal symptoms from needlework during this time. Although my rav told me that if it makes me a relaxed happy mommy I could do it. Ask a Rav.

madys

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 1:01 pm
Disclaimer - I hate to do this, becuase I hate when people say I learned this, or I learned that, but I will do it anyway to show that there is another side, and if you have any questions about this, ask your LOR. Although this is a site for frum women, many of us hold differently on a lot of issues.

You are allowed to work on a project that has already been started, but you are not allowed to begin a new project, or finish a project.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 1:10 pm
it says some women take this upon themselves ... not ALL ...

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 1:35 pm
It is most definitely a halacha, not something women have taken upon themselves (ie not an optional minhag), but there are rabbonim who pasken like mom 2004 said that as long as you don't start or finish the item it's okay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days